FORUMS: list search recent posts

Leave original files in place doesn´t work.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Tabosa
Leave original files in place doesn´t work.
on Feb 21, 2017 at 4:44:15 pm

Hello,

I´m currently editing a long feature film and the software assign to this job is Final Cut Pro X (10.3.1).

I had previous experience with this NLE and works fine for small media management. Usually I edit with Adobe CC, because I feel I can control better the ingest workflow and it has a more classic NLE approach.

The problem so far is regarding the DAILIES media import and some option that appear not to be working Leave original files in place.

The camera used on set is a Sony As7II with AVCHD file structure, wich we import to the RAID and only after import to FCP X.

Leave original files in place option is checked by default so as Optimized media and Generate proxy.

But when I choose the folder to import, the *Leave media on place* option turns grey and FCP X import all the original footage inside the library.
This only happens with AVCHD file structure, as I try to import some Prores files and works fine.

This is a problem because I will have 45 shooting days to import/optimize and FCP X is putting everything on the same drive, witch will soon kill my media management estimation and leave me with a unwanted giant Media Library.

Is this a software bug or am I missing some details?

Thank you all for the help.
Ricardo

Return to posts index

Mingjian Ma
Re: Leave original files in place doesn´t work.
on Feb 21, 2017 at 6:03:55 pm

Make sure you leave all the media in the ROOT or the second level of hard drive.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 21, 2017 at 6:08:38 pm

I highly recommend that you transcode the A7s camera files BEFORE you do anything with them in FCPX. Otherwise, you are bound to run into issues if you hand off audio to a Pro Tools team or a colorist using Resolve, etc. EditReady is the best choice for doing the transcode. Also make sure EVERYTHING is reconciled to a consistent frame rate, most probably 23.976fps. Transcode to ProRes or ProResHQ and treat those files as your camera masters. Then "leave in place" will work correctly.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 21, 2017 at 6:23:23 pm

You can't leave AVCHD files in place. AVCHD has to be rewrapped before use so FCPX has to do that amd create the new files wherever you told it to keep it's media. Ifmyiu want more control over the destination, format, etc then I'd suggest using something like EditReady to do the rewrapping/transcoding before importing into FCPX.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Ricardo Tabosa
on Feb 21, 2017 at 7:19:18 pm

Mingjin, Oliver, Jeff,
thank you all for your quick reply.

My normal ingest workflow includes Edit Ready for transcode the proxy + optimization for Prores, but then the media management is done inside Premiere CC witch is very transparent.

My problem with FCP X is that it hides the ingest structure files inside the Library.

And in the end I will have 45 day of shooting with aprx. 140 reels that have to be delivered to the Colorist along with a xml file, and I don't know if changing the AVCHD file structure will affect the final relink with the original files.

Do you know if the AVCHD file structure has any metadata important for the Color Grading?
If this structure is just folders inside folder without any add-on to the post workflow (like the .THM files on the Canon DSLR), I will remove the files immediately to another renamed folder.

--------------------------

I've been reading about replacing the proxy/optimized files inside the FCP X Library (right click on library file / reveal content), because I want the proxy and optimized media already have the LUT defined by the DOP.

Unfortunately FCP X only allows some pre defined camera LUT (ex: Arri; Canon; sLog2; etc). So I'm trying to replicate my normal workflow and override FCP X optimization settings by transcoding all the files in EditReady and then replace inside the FCP X Library.

Do you have any experience with this FCP X optimization override?

Thank you.
Ricardo

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 21, 2017 at 7:27:53 pm

Rewrap to prores is fine- the AVCHD (as long as it's not a so called raw format) is not needed.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Ricardo Tabosa
on Feb 21, 2017 at 7:33:36 pm

Noah,

when you mention re wrap are referring to the transcode workflow?

I read about re wraping, Divergent Media has a product exclusive to change the file format without transcode. But I never try this solution.

Is it effective?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 21, 2017 at 8:48:39 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Feb 21, 2017 at 8:50:09 pm

[Ricardo Tabosa] "I read about re wraping, Divergent Media has a product exclusive to change the file format without transcode. But I never try this solution."

EditReady will rewrap AVCHD files. It also embeds any matadata that would have resided in the sidecar files like .thm, etc.

And, just in case this is what you're asking when you talk about media being ingested into the library, the FCPX ingest won't copy files into the library bundle if you set you project to externally manage media. You don't get any control over the folder names but they will end up in a Finder folder. But if the source it AVCHD, FCPX has to make a new copy of those files somewhere.

EditReady just gives you more control over the final filename, target location, etc.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 21, 2017 at 7:53:19 pm

[Ricardo Tabosa] "Do you know if the AVCHD file structure has any metadata important for the Color Grading?
If this structure is just folders inside folder without any add-on to the post workflow (like the .THM files on the Canon DSLR), I will remove the files immediately to another renamed folder."

I'd be willing to bet it doesn't relink. You will need to test whether the timestamp (no real TC on these files) is read the same way. Also you will have duplicate clip names, which is an absolute no-no. Do not move the files out of their folders, because this will definitely cause timestamp interpretation issues.

Transcode externally to ProRes. Rename the files. Use those files. Edit in FCPX.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Feb 22, 2017 at 10:54:51 am

[Ricardo Tabosa] "... I will have 45 shooting days to import/optimize and FCP X is putting everything on the same drive, witch will soon kill my media management estimation and leave me with a unwanted giant Media Library....when you mention re wrap are referring to the transcode workflow?
"

You have a lot of data so it makes sense to streamline the transcoding and space consumption. You should NEVER remove bare .MTS files from the AVCHD package and import those with "leave files in place". The import itself will be very slow and it can cause later editing performance problems. The fastest approach is simply drop the entire AVCHD package into EditReady and re-wrap (not transcode) the files.

EditReady can either transcode or re-wrap -- you must specifically select re-wrap to ensure this happens, else it will transcode them which is much slower. After re-wrapping, FCPX can import those very quickly (often just seconds) using "leave files in place". The re-wrapped .mov files essentially become your original media from that point forward, although keeping an archival copy of the AVCHD camera files is a good idea.

Your A7SII is recording AVCHD which means you limited the bit rate and recorded only 1080 HD content. If you only want HD (not 4k) I'd suggest using XAVC-S HD which is a higher bit rate and avoids the complexity of dealing with AVCHD. However I suggest an overall evaluation of image quality, noise, dynamic range and low light performance on the various recording modes. In general the camera will produce best results on XAVC-S 4k. Even if you only need an HD delivery it might be better to capture and edit in 4k. However 4k would definitely require using proxy files (but not optimized media).

But since you have only recorded 1080 HD, after re-wrapping and importing, you may not even need proxy files, much less optimized media. 1080 AVC/H264 media can normally be handled by either FCPX or Premiere very smoothly without any proxy files.

So considering all of the above (and assuming you will be staying with AVCHD 1080 HD material), the fastest workflow for FCPX would be re-wrap (not transcode) using EditReady, then import those .mov files using "leave files in place", and don't generate either proxy or optimized media.

Return to posts index

Alex Guminov
on Mar 6, 2017 at 11:49:27 am

to all
други мои дорогие, что за дурацкая привычка отвечать не на вопрос, а советовать всякую хрень.

to Ricardo Tabosa
there is a problem. you can work around it by dragging the files from the Finder into FCPX (your event). then generate your proxy or otimized.

Return to posts index

Alex Guminov
on Mar 6, 2017 at 11:56:41 am

to all
други мои дорогие, что за дурацкая привычка отвечать не на вопрос, а советовать всякую хрень.

to Ricardo Tabosa
there is a problem. you can work around it by dragging the files from the Finder into FCPX (your event). then generate your proxy or otimized.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]