FORUMS: list search recent posts

how do you copy a range from the timeline and paste it somewhere else ? (seems silly but ...)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Fya
how do you copy a range from the timeline and paste it somewhere else ? (seems silly but ...)
on Feb 20, 2017 at 11:54:52 am

Hello guys,

This seems a silly question, but still, it gives me headaches ...

How do you copy a range from the timeline and paste it somewhere else ? (seems silly but ...)

On the screencap, I would like to copy the selected range (it can be across clips) and paste it in place of the gap clip above. How do you do that quickly (I will have to do this again and again ...)?

Thanks !!

--------------------------

If some of you wonder why would I want to do this ... or would like to tell me it's not how FCPX works ... etc ... here is the context so you can understand why.

I am cutting a music video, so I cannot use the primary storyline to edit if I want to keep my footage (2 dances and some choregraphed scenes) in sync with the music.
Moreover, since I need to have all my dance cuts synced to the music, I connected them as secondary storylines. I want to pull ranges from them (and keep them in sync !!) and assemble all these in another secondary storyline to make my cut.

For that sync reason, I must admit that I very much like FCPX to cut movies or documentaries ... not so much for music videos ... In premiere I can pull from other synced timelines which is very convenient in case like this.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
Re: how do you copy a range from the timeline and paste it somewhere else ? (seems silly but ...)
on Feb 20, 2017 at 3:26:23 pm

You may be better off setting up a multiclip for this. Then the one clip will have all the various angles embedded, and as you copy sections of the multiclip all the angles will follow. It also makes it incredibly easy to select the angle.

If you want to copy the range, and try to include all of the connected clips, you'll need to use the blade command to slice them all in the same spot, then you can use the select tool (not the range tool) to select the clip with all of its connected clips and copy them to paste somewhere else.

You could also try making a compound clip of your sequence, then break it back apart in your timeline, but now you'll have that compound clip in your browser, and you can edit parts of it in back into your timeline, and break it apart and you'll have all the connected clips with it.

If it were me, I'd use the multiclip.

---------

Mark Morache
Evening Magazine, Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: how do you copy a range from the timeline and paste it somewhere else ? (seems silly but ...)
on Feb 20, 2017 at 4:01:41 pm

I see that you have gaps on your Primary Storyline. Might I suggest a different approach: Since the Primary Story is the Music, I would drop the Music on the Primary Storyline and make everything else a Connected Clip. In a music video, the story is all about the music and the video is secondary. If you approach it from this perspective, you might have a more fluid workflow. This way the video will stay attached and in sync with the music.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 20, 2017 at 7:17:37 pm

Not every editing technique you use in a different NLE will translate well into the FCPX way of doing things and, unfortunately, it doesn't support copying and pasting the way you want which makes that particular approach to editing music videos fairly awkward in X.

Mark and John have suggested what's probably one of the best approaches to cutting a music video in FCPX.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Will Granzier
on Feb 21, 2017 at 11:33:17 am

Hi

I use this technique all the time. Have been since FCP 7. I create TV shows for Supersport in South AFrica, So I will create a lower third with text and make it look cool.... Keyframe movements etc. Then all that I will do is copy and paste it to the different places where I need it. I even do that with footage, works well

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]