FORUMS: list search recent posts

looking for cloud back-up

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
looking for cloud back-up
on Feb 19, 2017 at 4:53:37 pm

I have the need for both my home office and for a studio I run. I want incremental backups of media raids without my having to deal with it. I use four drive raid 5 in Pegasus and Thunderbays. I am tired of worrying about the safety of the media and needing to constantly back up stuff. Plan to move to a 4 k workflow which will increase the amount of media. Further old back ups are on drives that need to be run so they don't freeze up. And replaced every x number of years. Its just too much for me to deal with but don't want loose my media. Further my home office was once robbed and though I had back ups some stuff was lost.
At home I have three raids so far and back ups on individual drives. Would love to use those drives in new enclosures rather than back ups. Is the cloud backups reliable enough to be worry free once they are populated?
At the studio we have 7 stations with a raid each plus some additional individual drives with previous years with the worth while films copied. Lots of it is class projects and the raids have a ample overhead so I would say once I populate the raids with the 6TB drives and format them raid 5 they will only be partially full.

At this point I see it as a worth while investment. I need recommendations for a service that is a good price and reliable.
Any suggestions? Hopefully not out of my reach.

Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic HPX250P, FCP X 10.3, teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: looking for cloud back-up
on Feb 19, 2017 at 4:58:41 pm

Box/DropBox/Crashplan all have enterprise level solutions. Budget/web connection bandwidth are going to be your key considerations.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 19, 2017 at 7:22:11 pm

so the faster the more money. I'm will to get a slower backup. The incremental back-up can be done at night and the initial one I'm willing to be patient as long as I can do it in background or take breaks while I'm working.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out.

Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic HPX250P, FCP X 10.3, teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 19, 2017 at 7:46:21 pm

You also have to consider time for restoration. If your RAID goes down, how many hours (days?) will it take to restore the data. Unfortunately internet data speeds in the U.S. aren't typically fast enough for this kind of thing without really expensive, custom fiber installs.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 19, 2017 at 10:32:07 pm

Well the first company I contacted basically said they could not handle it. "Overall, I would say CrashPlan works best with archive 5TB or smaller." Which is a fraction of what I need backed up.

I think I need to rethink this. For starters I think rather than backing up my entire media drive, I need to back up just imported media. And the FC backup file which is real small. Does that make sense? Will it do the trick if a project was lost in whatever way: Just the imported media and the the backup file? It would still be a lot of media but not nearly as big as the entire project folder. I guess I could try to see if a backup file would reproduce the project.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 19, 2017 at 9:50:37 pm

Actually I was referring to your connection speed. Ie if you're on a fibre connection online backup is a great solution. Not so much if you're on a throttled dsl.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 20, 2017 at 2:17:32 am

yeah i see that now. wouldn't mind spending some on faster bandwidth. How fast do I need it? That doesn't change the fact that at least CrashPlan PRO didn't feel they could handle that much data - they didn't ask how fast my internet was. Just said that they provide up to 5TB per user. Though they put me in pro small business class rather than Enterprise which I asked for. They base that on the number of employees. I'm the only one.Though their sign up is online so I could just pretend I'm 200 people and they would not know.
Would I be safe with just the small FC backup file and the original media card copies? I could build a drive with just those for each project and point the backup to that drive or drives. But even card copies will start to get large if I start shooting in 4k.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 20, 2017 at 4:27:53 am

That's entirely up to you what degree of backup would be enough. Another option would be to run your own offsite private backup server then you wouldn't be constrained by space limits.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Feb 20, 2017 at 6:54:37 pm

Have you considered backing up your home drive to a drive at your office and the office drive to a drive at home? That would give you two copies off all media and easy access to the back up if you needed it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]