FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opening FCP X project, "unexpected error"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elizabeth Johnson
Opening FCP X project, "unexpected error"
on Feb 10, 2017 at 7:14:48 pm

Hi all,
I need to bring an FCP X project into FCP 7. I downloaded the FCP X trial to be able to open the project files and then export an XML for FCP 7 from that. When I open the FCP X project files, I initially get this message:

'the library, "FCP Files", must be updated to work with this version of Final Cut Pro Trial. Updates libraries cannot be opened in earlier versions of Final Cut Pro Trial. To update the library, click okay."

And after I click "okay" I get the following message "The library "FCP Files" could not be updated because an unexpected error occurred. The file couldn't be opened because it isn't in the correct format."

Can anyone assist?

Life is worth living.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Opening FCP X project, "unexpected error"
on Feb 10, 2017 at 7:37:59 pm

Which version of FCPX created the older library?

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Elizabeth Johnson
on Feb 10, 2017 at 7:45:03 pm

Hi Jeff,

Is there a way I can find that out? I'm editing this project for someone else, and they don't remember which program it was edited in and the person who did the previous version is out of the country. The only FCP file on the drive they gave me is called "FCP Files.fcpbundle" which is almost 400 GB.

Life is worth living.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 10, 2017 at 9:42:14 pm

I'm afraid it's not that simple. The XML created by FCPX is not readable in FCP 7.

At the very least you'll need this:

http://intelligentassistance.com/xtocc.html

Just out of curiosity what is it you're expected to do with the project. I.e. is there a critical reason why you're trying to work on a X project in 7?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Elizabeth Johnson
on Feb 10, 2017 at 9:47:59 pm

Hi Noah,

Thank you for your reply! I'm not familiar with FCP X, but I suppose I could work with it for this project. However, the issue isn't only exporting an XML to be used for FCP, it's that I can't even open the original FCP X project file in the trial version. The person who gave me the files to edit does not know with which version of FCP X the project file was created, and the original editor is no longer accessible. At this point, it would be very helpful if I could just manage to open the FCP X project file, likely from a previous version, in FCP X.

Life is worth living.

Return to posts index

Elizabeth Johnson
on Feb 10, 2017 at 10:13:02 pm

I just was informed that it was originally edited with Final Cut 10.2.3.

Life is worth living.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 10, 2017 at 11:46:36 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Feb 10, 2017 at 11:46:59 pm

Hmm not sure that's correct- should be a Library file not a bundle. You may be missing key files necessary to be able to open this in X let alone 7.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 11, 2017 at 12:13:05 am

.fcpbundle is correct for a library. 10.2.x shouldn't have any update issues going forward to 10.3.x. In a recent thread here Noah linked to an older 10.2.3 version demo of FCPX. You might try installing that and see if it has the same issue has the 10.3 demo.

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/46130

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Feb 13, 2017 at 2:48:29 pm

I had some problems upgrading libraries as well. I solved following this advice I got from this forum: from the finder go to the library you want to upgrade, and ctrl click. "Next thing to do would be to "Show Package Contents" on the library and delete the Currentversion.flexolibrary file, then launch 10.3"
Hope it helps.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]