FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just making sure: FCPX can take 24p over 60i footage in a 23.98 timeline, convert it, and I don't need to worry about it?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Just making sure: FCPX can take 24p over 60i footage in a 23.98 timeline, convert it, and I don't need to worry about it?
on Feb 9, 2017 at 12:23:45 am

About two years ago, I posted about using some footage from my Canon XA-10 that was shot in, what the camera calls, PF24. It's 24P over 60i, and Doug Metz at the time wrote, "If you've already got a 24p timeline / project, FCPX will recognize the pulldown and remove it for you. No need for further action. Playback may look a little janky until / unless you render, but probably not, and your output will be fine regardless."

I'm exporting from the project now, and I wanted to make sure, two years and some updates to FCP X, this advice still stands. Do I need to do anything? Play with field dominance at all or just let FCP X work its wonders?

As always, thanks to the folks who answer here. For years now, this website has been an insanely great learning tool.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Just making sure: FCPX can take 24p over 60i footage in a 23.98 timeline, convert it, and I don't need to worry about it?
on Feb 9, 2017 at 12:31:12 am

Depends- are you capturing directly from a camera card or receiving clips already ingested?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
Re: Just making sure: FCPX can take 24p over 60i footage in a 23.98 timeline, convert it, and I don't need to worry about it?
on Feb 9, 2017 at 8:44:31 pm

The cards are already ingested and exported. I do have the original cards saved....but I already, using Log and Transfer in FCP 7, converted them to mov files.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 10, 2017 at 4:41:47 am

Was the pulldown done during ingest in 7? it's a setting.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Feb 11, 2017 at 3:24:03 am

No. I didn't do that. That said...I just loaded the same AVCHD card in Log and Transfer in FCP 7, unchecked the pulldown, and the footage still seems to be 29.97. Perhaps it turns out that the footage, which according to the manual is shot at 24p and converted to 60i, has the conversation done in the camera and it's not changeable after you recorded? I realize that question's language shows i clearly don't know this technical detail well for this issue.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 13, 2017 at 4:46:45 pm

[Noam Osband] "I just loaded the same AVCHD card in Log and Transfer in FCP 7, unchecked the pulldown, and the footage still seems to be 29.97."

If you uncheck the option to remove the pulldown, why would it have been expected to remove the pulldown?

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Feb 25, 2017 at 1:03:06 am

Good point. Well, I've tried it both ways now and each time it gets imported as 29.97. Is there any way to import this at 23.98?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]