FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading from 10.0.4 to 10.3.2

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gage
Upgrading from 10.0.4 to 10.3.2
on Feb 7, 2017 at 9:19:54 pm

It's been awhile. In fact, about 2 years since I've done any serious editing for my websites and I've "sort of" been keeping up with the big changes in FCP X.

I will likely be making the move from Snow Leopard to El Cap here very soon, so it's time to upgrade FCP also. (The addition of 2 new SSDs in my MBP have made the change possible, El Cap was a real drag on 5400 and even 7200 rpm HDs.)

So my question is...
Are there any good tutorials out there for people like me explaining the major changes up to 10.3.2? I'm guessing that they would be numerous, but I didn't find any with a quick search. My main concern is how to handle the media files. I had it down to a science with 10.0.4 with moving in and out of Events and Projects, "hidden" and otherwise via the Finder. I think this is going to hurt the most as I have a lot of Events and Projects from 2-4 years ago I have to deal with and occasionally go back and re-edit. I guess around 10.1 Libraries came into effect. Is there a way to keep doing it the "old" way or is it best to just give in and convert all the old Projects and Events into Library form. It's possible that for a time, I may be booting back and forth into OS 10.6.8 and 10.10.6.

My other concern is that I have one or two custom lower thirds i used constantly that I doubt will make the change up. (I think that somewhere around 10.0.6 the format changed slightly.)

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Upgrading from 10.0.4 to 10.3.2
on Feb 7, 2017 at 10:14:56 pm

Nope- it's a whole new ballgame but I'd say a much better ballgame full of tons of enhancements. I'd go for Ripple Training.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Feb 7, 2017 at 10:33:44 pm

Noah,

Right now, I'm just looking for a general list of major changes. I don't think the process of upgrading to Libraries will be that tough, just time consuming. The reason I never bothered to update was that there wasn't a single feature after 10.0.4 that I absolutely needed. I did follow up through 10.2 and didn't follow after that.

[Noah Kadner] "I'd go for Ripple Training."
Maybe down the road, I just need to get started with basics at this point. I don't edit professionally, my needs are very very simple. I guess I can start by updating my Events and Projects and play around a bit and see if I run into any problems or questions.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Feb 7, 2017 at 11:11:41 pm

Except for bug fixes and "Native support for .MTS and .MT2S files from AVCHD cameras" (which I hope includes the Finder), I don't see anything in there that I need or care about. The big change for my world appears to be Libraries.

Thanks again,
Dave

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 7, 2017 at 11:27:57 pm

Which are basically taking what used to live at the top-level of a drive and putting them into a folder you can move around more easily and store anywhere you want on a drive. Also, Smart Collections now function at the Library level rather than per event.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]