FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX update in the middle of a project?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jenn Lindsay
FCPX update in the middle of a project?
on Feb 2, 2017 at 9:03:35 am

Hi folks!

On my desktop iMac I work in FCPX 10.2.2. Recently my boss purchased the new MacBookPro, and the version of FCPX that was pre-installed is 10.3.2.

The projects I have on the respective machines won't talk to each other.

Would it be a terrible idea to update my iMac version to 10.3 while I've got some active projects?

Thank you kindly, as always ☺
Jenn

http://www.JennLindsay.com
iMac 27-inch, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7. 4GB GPU.
FCPX

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
Re: FCPX update in the middle of a project?
on Feb 2, 2017 at 9:58:49 am

Although it's regarded my many to be a bad idea, I've always upgraded during editing a project & never had a problem of any consequence. Good luck.

Chris Stevens - Waterline Media. Marine Production Company.
FCPX,Motion,AE, Resolve

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Feb 2, 2017 at 11:55:32 am

[Jenn Lindsay] "Would it be a terrible idea to update my iMac version to 10.3 while I've got some active projects?
"

There is always some risk in upgrades, and 10.3.x is a major upgrade. Also the UI has some changes so it will take a day or so to become accustomed to that. I was forced to upgrade a 5 TB project to 10.3.x because of a plugin rendering bug in 10.2.x. The upgrade mostly went OK but I later hit a crash on import problem that took a while to figure out. Overall I like 10.3.x better.

If you are doing collaborative work with someone on 10.3.x, it may be worth upgrading -- you'll have to make that decision. Part of the upgrade process is evaluating what plugins you use and making sure those are updated and work properly in 10.3.x.

10.3.x has some nice features, also a few frustrating minor issues like the Browser layout reverting to the default each time FCPX is restarted. In general there are lots of useful improvements.

If you save a copy of your libraries and your current FCPX application, it is relatively straightforward to roll back, provided you don't need to preserve work done on 10.3x.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Feb 2, 2017 at 1:36:00 pm

You can copy 10.2.2 from the old machine to the new machine and just run that to complete this project. Then migrate yourself over to 10.3 after you've had some time to learn it. Ripple Training is excellent for training on this update.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]