FORUMS: list search recent posts

In and Out Points Stopped Working?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Barnett
In and Out Points Stopped Working?
on Feb 2, 2017 at 12:44:01 am
Last Edited By Ross Barnett on Feb 2, 2017 at 1:39:15 am

Hi guys! Hope someone can help me, you'd really make my day better.

Some information on my Mac is:
macOS Sierra
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
Processor - 3.4GHz Intel Core 5
Memory - 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk - Macintosh HD
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB

I have been editing on FCP for years and I've never encountered this problem. I host a dash cam channel on YouTube and typically I have VERY long clips I import from my dash cam using the in-and-out points hot keys "i" and "o", to select which segment of clip I'm importing - as not to import ten 45 minute clips. Well I bought a new dash cam and successfully used this method for two days in a row, without a single issue. I went on importing footage and going about my business.

Tonight, I sat down to do it again (to import), inserted my SD, clicked the import button...and now, for some reason, the "i" and "o" keys give me the error tone when I click them. The program does not respond to these commands all of a sudden.. So the only way to import my footage is to import it all, and I can't succumb to having so much data load onto my Mac in order to work around this issue. I tried importing other files from a DSLR camera, from a folder already on my Mac...and I still cannot use the in and out points feature.

These videos are importing as .MOV 1080p @ 30fps, H.264 Linear PCM. Same as my last dash cam, which I have imported footage from successfully for ten months.

What confuses me is that it worked fine for two days, only to stop working. I do not tinker with settings, and I'm using FCPX 10.3.2 (the latest update).

If anyone could help me I would be so grateful. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: In and Out Points Stopped Working?
on Feb 2, 2017 at 2:21:28 am

Some formats cannot be trimmed during ingest- H.264 being long gop is typically one.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Ross Barnett
on Feb 2, 2017 at 10:12:56 am

Thanks for your reply.

If this is the case, how is it that I was able to import clips for a couple of days before it stopped working? I think it may have something to do with the command itself as no footage I select, no matter the source, I cannot set my in and out points.

I tried even importing several other formats of video that are not from my dash cam at all...things like YouTube videos in MP4 format, other .MOV files...all formats that should allow me to set my in and out points, but I cannot.

Return to posts index

Ross Barnett
on Feb 2, 2017 at 2:08:32 pm

I got to work and took my memory card with me to see if I could replicate this problem on my work iMac (all with the same specs) and it still does not allow me to select my in and out points. Now I'm really starting to go crazy. Lol. 😫

I notice footage from my DSLR camera will import, allowing me to select in and out points just fine without an issue. My DSLR's codec is avc1. Is there any way I can work around the H.264 codec problem? If not, I'm afraid I will have to send my dash cam back and pick one that records in a different codec. As long as we're talking about it, what codecs will not let me select in and out points?

This is unfortunate and disappointing. 😞

Return to posts index

Ross Barnett
on Feb 2, 2017 at 2:30:57 pm

UPDATE: I've done even more research and found that my last dash cam (the one that I'd been importing footage from for 10 months or so...successfully...) was ALSO recording in H.264 but produced the footage as .mp4 native. This new dash cam is recording in H.264/.MOV.

How can these two be so different? Different enough that the in and out points feature becomes unusable?

Trying to provide as much information as I can so I can fully understand my problem.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 2, 2017 at 7:35:22 pm

It all comes down to the format- some can be decoded and trimmed others can't. My suggestion would be instead of using the Dashcams really bad compression you get a dashcam with an HDMI output and feed it to a nice ProRes recorder. Footage will look a lot better and you'll be able to easily trim on ingest.

Blackmagic Video Assist or Atomos Ninja Star would do the trick.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Ross Barnett
on Feb 2, 2017 at 9:59:01 pm

Awesome thank you!

Would you also say then that possibly finding a dash cam shooting in h.264/.mp4 instead of h.264/.mov might also solve the problem, as h.264/.mp4 was what was already working before?

Thanks for all your help.

Return to posts index

Ross Barnett
on Feb 2, 2017 at 11:30:57 pm

UPDATE: This confuses me even more. I have found footage from my old dash cam that I dumped (the raw files) onto a standalone hard drive. I went into "import", like I normally would...and I still can't select it. I found even more footage on my computer like, finished master files in .m4v and .mov format, and those can't be selected either. So now at this point, I'm concluding that the problem lies with my program...?

One thing also I've noticed is, the layout of the Media Import window has changed. Beneath the viewer, there used to be a bunch of preview windows of my clips. Now all I have below the viewer is a list form of my clips. I just updated - is this something I can switch back?

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Feb 6, 2017 at 4:55:19 am

I don't know if anyone else suggested this, but if you can open the clip in quicktime x, you can use the trim function "command T" to created a "trimmed" segment of the clip, then save that as a new clip to import into FCPX.

-Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]