FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow loading and editing of sequences with lots of Multicam clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luis Dechtiar
Slow loading and editing of sequences with lots of Multicam clips
on Jan 31, 2017 at 5:35:12 pm

I'm having a really hard time loading and editing long sequences which contain Multicam clips, and I'm wondering if anyone in a similar situation found any solutions. Here's what I'm trying to do:

- I'm working on a project where we've done about 30 different interviews which are 2-7 hours long, each one with two camera angles. The interviews have been turned into Multicam clips. There's one Multicam clip per interview, which is 2-7 hours long.
- I've edited long assemblies for each chapter of the film, which include short clips from various different interviews.
- As soon as a sequences starts approaching 1 hour in length, it becomes very slow to open, slow to work with, and sometimes makes an entire Library unusable, usually if that Library has reached more than 1GB in size.
- I've created Proxy of all the media, which seems to help make the editing smoother, but doesn't help with the freezing of the long sequences.
- I've done tests with most recent MacBook Pros (2015 and 2016) and 5K iMac, with similar results.
- There is an option I don't understand in the Preferences: make Optimized media for Multicam clips. Should I enable this even if I'm working in Proxy mode?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Slow loading and editing of sequences with lots of Multicam clips
on Jan 31, 2017 at 6:18:51 pm

That's a lot of media. Factors that will slow it down are the kinds of media, the amount of metadata and the performance specs of the hard drives the media is stored on. Also make sure you're on the latest OX/FCPX as they have upped the performance for very large projects.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Luis Dechtiar
on Feb 1, 2017 at 5:08:52 pm

Thanks Noah. To answer some of your questions:

- I'm using Proxy media, so that should at least be the most optimal kind of media, one would think.

- The amount of metadata might be a factor: I've used Lumberyard to sync the transcripts of all these interviews to the Multicam clip. I'm thinking that learning the Keyword Metadata (control+0) for the clips I've already put on sequences would hopefully help lighten the load.

- I'm using Thunderbolt 2 G-Tech drives, some 8TB, some 16TB, and a 48TB. So the speeds are up to 1300MB/s and 7200RPM. I would think that would be fast enough, but do I need to be working with even faster drives?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 1, 2017 at 6:23:43 pm

Those are the RAID drives or the regular ones? Also depends on the system. The more metadata, the more CPU power.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Luis Dechtiar
on Feb 1, 2017 at 6:54:09 pm

The 16 and 48TB drives are RAID, but I think the 8TB is not.

I've tested this on different systems, including a 2016 MacBook Pro with Touchbar (2.9GHz Core i7, 16GB RAM) and a 2015 5K iMac (4Ghz, 32GB RAM) but the issue is present in both.

I'm trying to get my FCPX updated to the latest version (10.3.2) but for some reason I can't get the download to appear in my Updates tab. I'll report back on whether the update makes a difference.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 1, 2017 at 9:49:42 pm

It should.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved