FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sierra vs el cap

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
Sierra vs el cap
on Jan 24, 2017 at 1:02:29 am

Any reason or not to update? One Up side is it will shut apple up till we move to a new gen.
Downside is I'd rather my phone acted like my mac than vice versa.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Sierra vs el cap
on Jan 24, 2017 at 1:57:26 am

No reason not to update that I've seen. It's worked flawlessly for me since day one.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 28, 2017 at 3:05:51 pm

[Jeff Kirkland] "It's worked flawlessly for me since day one."
Same here. Sierra is working flawlessly on both my 2010 Mac Pro and 2015 MacBook Pro with FCP X 10.3.2.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 28, 2017 at 4:56:05 pm

Thanks John and Jeff. Apple is getting more insistent on the change. Instead of just advertising it, the notification is saying 'now' or ' tomorrow'.

Since the last couple of updates I have just updated. In the past, I would always do a clean install. Would take me a couple of days to get things back as they were but always worth the effort. I'd end up with not just the update but cleaner and faster. And less problems with pro apps than other end users that took the simple route.

But a couple of OSes ago I could not find a tutorial or anything to help me do this including apple care. Specifically getting my library type stuff (not FC which is on an external raid) like mail and links and so forth. Would use the option-view or go menus to open up the old libraries to move over these hidden data containers. I'd also copy over my documents and keep check on each app to see if it worked on the new OS, keeping clone of my old system on an external bare drive. Is this doable? I have updated the last couple of updates and currently on El Captain.

My iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 4 GHz Intel Core i7 AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB has frequent crashes that I saw at work on the previous gen of iMacs. Weird type of crash that I had never experienced before.

The Mac will freeze with neither the mouse or keyboard responding. After a minute or so it will turn itself off and reboot and act like I choose restart in the apple menu. Rarely will this show a kernel panic when rebooted or any error message at all. For the most part i would not loose any data. Sometimes the last couple of edits in some app. And it would happen often when importing large media files into the finder or FCP X. So nothing would be lost except time and effort. It mostly seemed to be related to the thunderbolt connection. But the behavior would repeat on different Macs different raids and different interconnect. So nothing obviously wrong with the hardware.

I started using CCC to do the copy from media card to finder first so that if it crashed I could start again where I left off. Many times it was in the last stages of a copy. I worked with a techie sending him log notes from the computer crash reports as well as from software monitoring from a program called softraid (it also formats soft raids and comes bundled with OWC Thunderbays). I was finally told that a certain percentage of Macs have this problem and Apple knows about it but won't cop to it.

That said it seems weird that a hardware issue would be so intermittent. Just wondering if a clean install might solve the problem. And even if not seems like a good practice . Is there info on getting the email and links back on a clean new system?

Aside from that my only concern is Microsoft Office 2008. Have no need or desire to buy an update. I know these programs and don't want a learning curve for something i rely on for tedious everyday stuff. Or messed up formatting with old docs.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 28, 2017 at 5:39:55 pm

[Craig Alan] "Since the last couple of updates I have just updated. In the past, I would always do a clean install. Would take me a couple of days to get things back as they were but always worth the effort. I'd end up with not just the update but cleaner and faster. And less problems with pro apps than other end users that took the simple route.

But a couple of OSes ago I could not find a tutorial or anything to help me do this including apple care. Specifically getting my library type stuff (not FC which is on an external raid) like mail and links and so forth. Would use the option-view or go menus to open up the old libraries to move over these hidden data containers. I'd also copy over my documents and keep check on each app to see if it worked on the new OS, keeping clone of my old system on an external bare drive. Is this doable? I have updated the last couple of updates and currently on El Captain. "
I'm surprised that Apple Care couldn't help you since the instructions are pretty basic (some of which are on their web site!) Besides, you are certainly going about this the hard way if you are manually copying files.

If you want to perform a clean install, get an external USB drive that is at least as big as your internal drive and use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a complete bootable backup. Maybe boot from it just to make sure that it works. Disconnect that drive for now.

Then follow the instructions on Apples web site to Create a bootable installer for macOS

Next, reboot your Mac while holding down the Option key after you hear the chime and boot with the USB Thumb drive.

Use the Disk Utility to format your hard drive, (that's why we backed it up with CCC first) then start the macOS Sierra installation on the clean drive.

When prompted to setup your Mac from a Time Machine Backup or External Hard Drive, plug in your CCC backup and select the external hard drive option. It will present you with the account to restore. Select your account and have it restore everything including all of your apps, your email, everything.

That's it! You now have a clean install with all of your old apps and email accounts and it only takes a few hours with no input from you. I've done this several times now, usually overnight and I wake up to a new Mac with all my old files.
[Craig Alan] "That said it seems weird that a hardware issue would be so intermittent. Just wondering if a clean install might solve the problem. And even if not seems like a good practice . Is there info on getting the email and links back on a clean new system?"
I have a problem with my son's MacBook Pro randomly rebooting and I pretty much debunked that it was a software problem by doing a clean install, not copying over any other files, and after using it for a little while it randomly rebooted again. ☹ So if it's a hardware issue, a clean install is not going help but its always worth a try.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 28, 2017 at 7:03:46 pm

Thank you John. And after posting, I was about to comment, I did a search and this time around there are some tutorials. However a truly clean install is not using migration but manually moving just the docs and apps you want into the new system. For example, copy pasting all your document into the new document folder on the new OS. Most apps can be downloaded from the app store into the clean system. Read mixed reviews if office 2008 will work. Some say yes some say no.
Mail boxes and bookmarks I guess can be exported from El Cap and imported into Sierra.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
rebooting
on Jan 28, 2017 at 7:55:14 pm

Yeah I know I'm not alone on this rebooting issue and some of the descriptions of what happens varies. Since Apple can't consistently reproduce it its hard to solve. Its really unnerving when using connected raids/media/libraries which can become corrupted. Though mostly they don't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]