FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I use proxy and original media in the same project?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nik Voigt
How can I use proxy and original media in the same project?
on Jan 22, 2017 at 12:37:01 pm

I am working on a documentary film and I have a tone of footage from various cameras. Some of the footage plays perfectly in FCPX while other footage is too large. I have 8 TB of footage already so to save space I have only made proxies of the large 4K files.

When I edit together these clips in the same project, however, I cannot watch them both. I have to choose whether the viewer plays back proxy or original but my project has footage that is both proxy and original.

Is there a way to choose which clips play proxy and which play from original? I do not have the space to make proxies of 6TB of footage. I'm using FCPX 10.2.3

Thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: How can I use proxy and original media in the same project?
on Jan 22, 2017 at 3:40:36 pm

Nope it's one or the other. Generally the workflow is- edit in proxy for best performance and then toggle to original for final exports.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 22, 2017 at 7:08:58 pm

Duplicate the project and set one to proxy?

Return to posts index

Nik Voigt
on Jan 22, 2017 at 8:01:08 pm

But I want to edit both proxy and original clips together in one project. How would duplicating a project help? Maybe I'm missing something!

Return to posts index

Nik Voigt
on Jan 22, 2017 at 7:59:55 pm

Thanks for your reply. It seems a shame that you have to do all or nothing. Especially with large projects it is not very economical on space. You would have thought that there would be a way to chose which clips are played from proxy and which from original media.
Cheers.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 22, 2017 at 9:32:36 pm

Give a specific example- proxy files are a fraction of original files size and designed specifically to aid performance on lower specification Macs. How does mixing original/proxy reach that goal. Also you can easily and safely all delete proxies at any point during an edit and switch to originals.

1 extra TB should hold proxies for several large projects at once and would cost less than $100. So not really getting why this is an issue.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 25, 2017 at 12:12:27 pm

[Noah Kadner] "1 extra TB should hold proxies for several large projects at once and would cost less than $100. So not really getting why this is an issue."

Agreed. 1 TB can hold near 20 hours of Proxy footage. I edited a project with well over 1 TB of 2K footage. The proxies worked out to less than 150GB. Even the slowest, cheapest and oldest external USB3 drive performs well enough to play 5+ streams of it at a time. And you can get a 2TB one for as low as $70.

- RK

Return to posts index

Gregor Myller
on Jan 31, 2017 at 9:37:50 pm

I also have had good experiences with proxies for the rough cut using Multicam objects with 32 angles and 16 being displayed at one time while editing on a 12" MacBook using a 4TB My Passport drive.

I never thought an NLE could do that, as even Avid MC had problems displaying two DNxHD 120 streams from one 7200 RPM HDD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]