FORUMS: list search recent posts

MKV Rewrap for use in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc D'Amour
MKV Rewrap for use in FCPX
on Jan 20, 2017 at 7:15:57 am

Hello...

I have re-wrapped an MKV file using Subler, outputting to MOV. If I play the resulting file (after Subler conversion) it looks great and plays smoothly in Quicktime and VLC on my Mac.

If I import that re-wrapped file into FCPX for editing, it appears pixelated and isn't usable. I'd prefer NOT to convert these files to ProRes (I have third party programs that will do that) because the file size increase is substantial. For example, on my native 10GB MKV, if I went to ProRes through a conversion program we'd be looking at 80 - 100gb files, rather than 10gb.

So, I just figured FCPX didn't like the file because it wasn't compliant, I was using a third party program (Subler) after all. On a whim, I opened up my copy of DaVinci Resolve 12.5 (for the first time - I've never editing anything outside of FCPX) and imported the very same file that FCPX was giving me pixelation issues. It played cleanly.

What does Apple not like about my file, that Da Vinci doesn't seem to mind? Moreover, has anyone had this issue and found a solution? I created a video and uploaded it to a streaming site to show you the exact pixelation and the specs on my clip. I really do appreciate any and all suggestions here.

https://lamediaworks.wistia.com/medias/07c0c38j1l

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: MKV Rewrap for use in FCPX
on Jan 20, 2017 at 3:51:28 pm

ProRes is the way to go- whst is the original footage anyway?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Marc D'Amour
on Jan 20, 2017 at 7:09:04 pm

Thanks for the response.

I cut demo reels for actors and they always want the best quality footage.

My current workflow:
Purchase BluRay disc and rip to MKV
Convert select clips to ProRes using PavTube HD Converter for Mac (I would prefer to do the entire movie but the files are considerably larger that a full BluRay rip (full movie Blu can be 20 - 40 gigs where a ProRes convert of that file can be 80 - 150 gigs).
Import the ProRes clips to FCPX and Edit

Pros of this workflow:
Smaller size than converting entire films to ProRes
Retain great quality of original file

Cons of this workflow:
File sizes of multiple clips are still usually greater than the original file size of the BluRay MKV rip
So often we don't pull enough and have to go back to re-source moments, b-roll etc. - would be great to rip the full movie once and have it in the system for reference and use.

My desired workflow:
Rewrap all MKV files to M4V or MOV using Subler. This way it keeps the quality of the original file and doesn't bloat the file size. In my tests, the files sizes are less than 1% larger after "re-wrapping" the entire feature.
Import the full films in M4V or MOV and allow FCPX to create a proxy to edit with more easily and then perform the edit

Problem with desired workflow:
Subler produces M4V files that play perfectly in VLC and look great. They also import into DaVinci Resolve 12.5 perfectly and without problems.
When I import those same "re-wrapped" files into FCPX, I'm getting that pixelated ghosting effect that you see in my link in the original post.

I just find it hard to believe that there isn't something I can do to get FCPX to play nice with those files.

To answer your question about the original file type, here is a screenshot of the specs while playing the MKV in VLC.

screenshot2017-01-20at10.55.54am.png

Any and all help here is appreciated. Thank you very much!

Marc

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 20, 2017 at 6:39:07 pm

First, try setting your viewer to 100%.

I find some variants of mp4, especially from DJI products, will produce very pixelated previews in the Event Browser if it is set to less than 100% (or "Higher Performance" playback setting). But upon looking through a broadcast output device from AJA or similar, and a subsequent export, the movie looks just fine.

So first, before you do anything, try to set your view to 100%, or export a small chunk of the movie out of FCPX (like you would any edit) and see what it looks like after export.

Return to posts index

Marc D'Amour
on Jan 20, 2017 at 7:11:08 pm

I tried setting the viewer to 100%, and no luck. I did then put a chunk into a project and exported it.

Unfortunately, it looks the same on export as it does in the viewer.

Any ideas on what could be causing this in FCPX, but VLC and DaVinci are ok with the same clip?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 20, 2017 at 7:34:40 pm

Without having the clip no- but MKV's are typically a mess as they come from shareware DVD rippers etc and fall apart on playback. If you have another app that can open and process it get it into a better MOV container as soon as you can can.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Marc D'Amour
on Jan 20, 2017 at 8:10:47 pm

Thanks for the response.

I cut demo reels for actors and they always want the best quality footage.

My current workflow:
Convert select clips to ProRes using a Third Party Converter for Mac (I would prefer to do the entire movie but the files are considerably larger that a full BluRay rip (full movie Blu can be 20 - 40 gigs where a ProRes convert of that file can be 80 - 150 gigs).
Import the ProRes clips to FCPX and Edit

Pros of this workflow:
Smaller size than converting entire films to ProRes
Retain great quality of original file

Cons of this workflow:
File sizes of multiple clips are still usually greater than the original file size of the BluRay MKV rip
So often we don't pull enough and have to go back to re-source moments, b-roll etc. - would be great to rip the full movie once and have it in the system for reference and use.

My desired workflow:
Rewrap all MKV files to M4V or MOV using Subler. This way it keeps the quality of the original file and doesn't bloat the file size. In my tests, the files sizes are less than 1% larger after "re-wrapping" the entire feature.
Import the full films in M4V or MOV and allow FCPX to create a proxy to edit with more easily and then perform the edit

Problem with desired workflow:
Subler produces M4V files that play perfectly in VLC and look great. They also import into DaVinci Resolve 12.5 perfectly and without problems.
When I import those same "re-wrapped" files into FCPX, I'm getting that pixelated ghosting effect that you see in my link in the original post.

I just find it hard to believe that there isn't something I can do to get FCPX to play nice with those files.

To answer your question about the original file type, here is a screenshot of the specs while playing the MKV in VLC.

screenshot2017-01-20at10.55.54am.png

Any and all help here is appreciated. Thank you very much!

Marc

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 20, 2017 at 8:54:20 pm

[Marc D'Amour] "My current workflow:
Purchase BluRay disc and rip to MKV"

Why rip to MKV?

Return to posts index

Marc D'Amour
on Jan 20, 2017 at 9:50:59 pm

There are a few programs that rip BluRay on Mac and they use MKV. I'm not stuck on it but I didn't know there was an alternative. Any tips on software that can rip to a more flexible format?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 20, 2017 at 9:52:37 pm

Handbrake goes to mp4

Return to posts index

Marc D'Amour
on Jan 20, 2017 at 10:05:17 pm

I don't think Handbrake can circumvent AACS. I work with actors who are in films and shows and their sources are commercial discs.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 20, 2017 at 10:11:23 pm

Not directly, no. There's some other steps involved to get Handbrake to hook up to the BluRay material for decryption, but in my opinion would be well worth it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 20, 2017 at 8:11:36 pm

[Marc D'Amour] "Any ideas on what could be causing this in FCPX, but VLC and DaVinci are ok with the same clip?"

FCPX must not see it as a valid clip.

If Resolve is seeing it correctly, then I'd export a version out of Resolve, even if that's ProRes.

Return to posts index

Marc D'Amour
on Jan 20, 2017 at 8:17:18 pm

Jeremy - thanks for the response.

I have a way to get this single clip into FCPX if needed... it just isn't ideal or sustainable as a workflow moving forward.

I've been on FCPX since the beginning and absolutely love it. I'm not even considering introducing Resolve into my workflow at this point, I just really wanted to streamline my workflow and I'm trying to get to the bottom of what is wrong with clips created this way so I can (presumably) fix it and I can use this method of working with my files in FCPX.

One of my downfalls is codecs and file formats, so I apologize for some of the more entry level questions.

Again, I really appreciate the time and consideration here.

Marc

Return to posts index

Gregor Myller
on Jan 31, 2017 at 10:19:36 pm

Hi,

I recently had to rip a BluRay using MakeMKV to get that MKV.

Well, since I was active at some time on MacRumors, wonderful place for negativity, I remembered a small tool Calle Video Container Switcher, programmed by kind user, which could do things like ClipWrap, just for free though. It hasn't been updated since 2015, but it worked for me to get a workable MOV file, which I then transcoded to ProRes 422 in Compressor for a future project, though FCP X does not have a problem with that H.264 MOV either.

Have a look at this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/small-tool-to-convert-video-containers-...

Return to posts index

Sunderland Green
on Feb 22, 2017 at 5:06:40 am

If the Apple Prores files is too large, you can transcode the MKV files to Apple Prores 422 Proxy or Apple Prores 422 (LT) format with small resolution for great playback performance in Final Cut Pro X.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]