FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.3 extremely laggy

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivan Knežević
FCPX 10.3 extremely laggy
on Jan 18, 2017 at 9:06:34 am

Hello guys,

Recently I decided to give a shot FCPX 10.3 over Premiere Pro CC 2017, and so far I think that I'm gonna stick to the Adobe product, because FCPX is extremely laggy, choppy, and it freezes too often. Problem is, I tried to import about 60GB of MTS files into FCPX, recorded at Panasonic GH4 at 1080p, 50fps, 28Mbits...it took almost a 6 hours to import, and even after that FCPX start to creating thumbnails and waveforms, and I let the FCPX do it's thing, hoping it will realise all of that lag, but unfortunately, it didn't. I forgot to notice, that all MTS video files I extracted form it AVCHD bin, so, they are not packed at all.

So guys, am I doing it something wrong? Is there any solution?

After that, I needed to get job done, I imported project into Premiere. And it took about a half of hour for importing and comforning the waveforms.

I'm on Mac Pro single 6core CPU 3,46GHz, 32GB of RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680 4GB, 512GB of SSD

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: FCPX 10.3 extremely laggy
on Jan 18, 2017 at 10:53:09 am

Not knowing how your computer is set up or what else you have installed that might be interfering with the import, I can't do much to help but I can tell you that I can import 100gb of footage from my GH4 in seconds, not hours.

I'd have pointed the finger at AVCHD files, which Is a format I avoid like the plague as FCPX has no choice but to import and rewrap the files, but your description of using FCPX makes me think either your machine needs a good reinstall and clean out - or it's under-resourced somewhere.

In comparison, my 2013 Mac Pro can do several streams of 4k without raising a sweat. Even my little 11" MacBook Air is useable with FCPX for a single stream of 4k without having to resort to proxy mode.

Something is definitely wrong with your system.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Ivan Knežević
on Jan 18, 2017 at 11:30:57 am

Here is the link, screen record of my problem. Read the description for more details.

Return to posts index

Gregor Queck
on Jan 18, 2017 at 11:15:23 am

You can try to import the original AVCHD.
I use it from a Sony a77 with no problems whatsoever....

I suspect it has problems with the MTS files as I had...

. . .

Return to posts index

Ivan Knežević
on Jan 18, 2017 at 11:31:35 am

Check video above that I just posted.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 18, 2017 at 4:08:47 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Jan 18, 2017 at 4:13:51 pm

Ingest from the original camera card. Also FCPX is not like Premiere in terms of MTS files on a timeline. Normally you would optimize that format to ProRes HQ or Proxy- which are checkboxes in the Ingest Window.

But it looks more like a major system problem than an FCPX issue like you are tied to a network connection that is stuck, your HD or RAM is failing or perhaps a system virus scanner or indexing app is slowing everything done to such a high degree.

I can ingest and begin editing in a couple of minutes off a GH4 on my 2015 MBP.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jan 18, 2017 at 6:33:38 pm

[Ivan Knežević] "FCPX is extremely laggy, choppy, and it freezes too often. Problem is, I tried to import about 60GB of MTS files into FCPX, recorded at Panasonic GH4 at 1080p, 50fps, 28Mbits...it took almost a 6 hours to import"

In general FCPX is somewhat faster than Premiere CC (on the same hardware) in terms of playhead response on the timeline and especially in export performance to H264. Like Premiere CC, FCPX can usually do pretty well when editing camera native files. Creating proxy or optimized media is not usually required for 1080p H264. However there are some variations, and in some cases Premiere CC can be faster.

In your specific case -- bare MTS files extracted from the AVCHD container -- FCPX may not handle certain aspects well.

It took you 6 hr to import 60GB of MTS files -- NOT because FCPX is slow per se but (a) Because you voluntarily created both proxy and optimized media files, and (b) Imported bare MTS files stripped from the AVCHD package. IOW you told FCPX to transcode the media twice upon import. It takes a while to transcode all that content.

I suggest you either import from the AVCHD package or re-wrap the .MTS files before importing using EditReady:http://www.divergentmedia.com/editready or the free tool ReWrapAVCHD: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39800/rewrapavchd. Also you don't generally need proxy or optimized media for H264 1080p editing on a recent Mac. Your GH4 has several different H264 file formats and bit rates. You were apparently using AVCHD at 28 mbps. In general I recommend using .MP4 or .MOV at a higher bit rate. Those also eliminate the unwieldy AVCHD package.

I just did an import of 60GB of 1080p bare MTS files using "leave files in place" and without creating proxy or optimized media. On my 2015 iMac it took about 10 min to import these, after which you can immediately edit. The background task of generating audio waveforms will continue for about 13 more minutes and that might slow things down a bit. After that, skimming, editing and timeline operations are very fast. So my total time was 23 min vs your 6 hours.

I then re-wrapped the 60GB of MTS files to MOV using EditReady, which took about 3 min. Importing from these files took about 2.5 seconds, and creating audio waveforms took 57 seconds. Timeline performance might have been a little quicker but it was already so fast on the MTS files it's hard to be certain.

Importing the same MTS files in Premiere CC 2017 took about 15 sec, and generating the audio peak files took about 2 more minutes. Timeline responsiveness in Premiere was OK but the viewer update rate was slower than FCPX and there was much more lag on JKL keyboard inputs.

I then imported the re-wrapped files to Premiere CC 2017 -- this took about 10 sec, and generating peak files took about 20 sec -- not that different from the bare files.

So while FCPX can edit bare MTS camera native files which have been extracted from the AVCHD package, it doesn't handle this optimally. I have seen cases where a few of these files in a large library can cause significant performance degradation due to excessive I/O. It may be that FCPX is dynamically re-wrapping these files upon each reference.

I then did further import and export performance tests using a 6.8GB AVCHD package containing 79 1080p/29.97 files from a Canon HF-10. We haven't used AVCHD for years, so that's all the content I could find. All tests on top-spec 2015 iMac 27 running macOS 10.12.2, with content on 8TB Thunderbolt 2 SSD RAID-0 array. You can see FCPX is not good at handling bare .MTS files removed from the AVCHD package, and this even affects export performance.

Import 79 files from from 6.8GB AVCHD package (requires importing files within library for FCPX):
Premiere CC 2017: 40 sec, + 20 sec audio peak file generation (60 sec. total)
FCPX 10.3.1: 35 sec + 8 sec waveform generation (45 sec. total)

Import from 79 bare .MTS files:
Premiere CC 2017: 37 sec + 24 sec audio peak file generation (1:01 total)
FCPX 10.3.1: 3:00 + 2:00 audio peak file generation (5:00 total)

Import 79 .MTS files rewrapped to .MOV via EditReady:
Premiere CC 2017: 5 sec
FCPX 10.3.1: 2 sec + 8 sec waveform generation (10 sec total)

Export H264 60 sec 1080p content from one clip in an AVCHD package:
Premiere CC 2017: 0:55
FCPX 10.3.1: 1:07

Export H264 60 sec 1080p content from a bare .MTS file:
Premiere CC 2017: 0:53
FCPX 10.3.1: 2:22

Export H264 60 sec 1080p content from a bare .MTS file re-wrapped as .MOV:
Premiere CC 2017: 0:51
FCPX 10.3.1: 0:18

Since XAVC has some similarities to AVCHD, I then tested this with a 45GB 4k set of XAVC-S content:

Import from 45GB XAVC folder tree (requires importing files within library for FCPX):
Premiere CC 2017: 1:22 + 1:12 peak file generation (2:34 total)
FCPX 10.3.1: 2:57 + 10 sec waveform generation (3:07 total)

Import from 45GB XAVC bare .MP4 files:
Premiere CC 2017: 1:10
FCPX 10.3.1: 0:03

Import from 45GB XAVC bare .MP4 files re-wrapped to .MOV:
Premiere CC 2017: 1:10
FCPX 10.3.1: 0:08

Export 60 sec single H264 4k bare XAVC-S file:
Premiere CC 2017: 2:09
FCPX 10.3.1: 46.7

Export 60 sec single H264 4k bare XAVC-S file re-wrapped to .MOV
Premiere CC 2017: 2:09
FCPX 10.3.1: 46.6

Return to posts index

Ivan Knežević
on Jan 19, 2017 at 7:48:14 am

Wow, thanks man for such a huge reply.

I've been on Premiere Pro since CS6, so, I could say, long time...and after seen so much posts about latest version of FCPX, speed, performance, exporting time, I was just curious is that really better in performance and speed, so I gave it a shot. So, as you can see, problems right away, as I get used to Premiere and all of it wide spectre of offers with Codecs, different file formats ect. I kinda didn't like the FCPX at first, but now I see where all my problems is. And to mention it, I import straight trough AVCHD container and it was much much better and faster, also with unchecked "create proxy" and "optimize files". So in the end, I found the solution for my problem, but I think that, still, I'm gonna stick with Premiere Pro.

Thank you again for such great reply, I see that you spare your time and test it also...I appreciate.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]