FORUMS: list search recent posts

Measuring elapsed time using markers in FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Turner
Measuring elapsed time using markers in FCPX?
on Jan 14, 2017 at 3:32:03 am

When going through my in-car footage from the racetrack in FCP7, I have used markers to help me quickly tell my lap time. I'd put a mark at each frame where I was crossing the start/finish line to mark each lap. Then, in the Browser, I could flip a triangle open for the clip and see all of the markers. I could then double-click on a marker, and it would open that section of the video in the Viewer, and the duration field was my lap time. I have to convert from 30ths of a second, but it was close enough for gov't work.

Is there a way to do this as easily in FCPX? Nothing happens when I click on the markers, aside from being able to edit them.

Thx,
Fred

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
Re: Measuring elapsed time using markers in FCPX?
on Jan 14, 2017 at 12:46:43 pm

Why not select a range in the browser , starting line to staring line , one lap and with that range highlighted, the duration will be displayed . Multiple ranges can be selected in a clip if your video recording is 10 laps , you can select 10 ranges of one lap each and you're done.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 14, 2017 at 1:57:25 pm

[Fred Turner] "Nothing happens when I click on the markers, aside from being able to edit them."
If you have Snapping (N) turned on, your mouse will snap to the markers as you skim the timeline. Then just use the Range (R) tool and snap to the first marker and press "I", snap to the second marker and press "O" and then just read the duration of the range under the preview window. That's you lap time.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 14, 2017 at 4:31:53 pm

Also you can see all markers and their timestamps by filtering to markers within the timeline index.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jan 14, 2017 at 6:16:37 pm

The timeline index also works though selecting ranges does all the math for you-

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]