FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for a hookup (FW 800 to lightning connectors, you perv)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Looking for a hookup (FW 800 to lightning connectors, you perv)
on Jan 13, 2017 at 8:17:15 pm

I have old DV footage to transfer into my iMac/ fcp7 setup... The previous iMac had FW 800 on the back, and a DV connector to FW 800 connector cable was cheap and easy to find.

My new(ish) iMac 27 dropped the fw800 ports, and instead I have two ports for what look like those little lightning connectors. I've gone nuts trying to find a cable to match, or an adapter for the FW 800 to Lightning, no luck.

I know there are BOB's out there that will solve this but with prices from $75 to $300 and more is not what I wanna pay, considering the transfers from this camera will be sporadic at best. I'm a frugal SOB.

I'm looking to solve this one for twenty bucks or less with a source for the right cable or cable adapter. Am starting to think I need a 2-stage process of FW800 to older flat style FW or USB, then connect that to lightning cable. Not sure if that will pass the DV signal in live transfer though. What does the Great Guernsey Gestalt have to offer?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Looking for a hookup (FW 800 to lightning connectors, you perv)
on Jan 13, 2017 at 9:39:37 pm

Your iMac should have thunderbolt ports rather than lightning ports (which are the ports on iPhones and iPads). I used to use a thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adapter then a FireWire 800 to dv adapter cable. Worked well back in the day but not sure if FCPX 10.3 even supports capturing FireWire any more.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 13, 2017 at 9:47:38 pm

FCPX does still capure via Firewire but you probably won't find those Thunderbolt to 800 cables for under $20.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 13, 2017 at 10:49:13 pm

THAT'S Why I was having such trouble finding the adapters- I'd mis-identified Thunderbolt as Lightning.

...And started humming a song from 1972. Ain't it funny.

Return to posts index

Fred Turner
on Jan 14, 2017 at 3:27:47 am

...how the night moves?? Wasn't that 1962 tho? 😉

You need a Thunderbolt-to-FW800 adapter, then you need a FW800 (9-pin) to FW400 (4-pin) cable. The first is here:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD464LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-a...

The second I got from here:

https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-Firewire-Cable-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00...

And FCPX will indeed capture from DV devices over FireWire and control the deck, too.

HTH,
FT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]