FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a love greeting card that opens in fcpx

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Kehoe
Creating a love greeting card that opens in fcpx
on Jan 13, 2017 at 1:46:18 pm

Hey guys! First off forgive me if this is more of an apple motion question, just not sure... but happy New Years everyone! I'm looking to create a lyric video to one of our new songs and want it to be a love/valentine greeting card that opens up and on the right inside of it the lyrics start getting written line by line. The video would start with the card closed and the artwork cover of the song would be on the front of the card and then when the first line of the song comes in the card would open and the lyrics start getting written on the right hand inside of the card. The left hand inside of the card would be the song artwork cover again. Anyways was looking around on how to animate this couldn't find much. Maybe you guys have a few tips. The hardest part is the opening of The card movement I would guess. Anyways thanks a ton everyone

Jim

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Creating a love greeting card that opens in fcpx
on Jan 13, 2017 at 3:11:24 pm

A 3D Motion project might be best. I've never done this, but an approach might be to have both pages of the card one atop the other. Be sure the anchor points of the inside edges of both coincide. Then rotate the top open. Sounds easy-probably isn't.

Return to posts index

Jim Kehoe
on Jan 13, 2017 at 3:16:45 pm

Thanks for the reply John! Will mess around with this this weekend

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 13, 2017 at 3:19:15 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Jan 13, 2017 at 3:21:30 pm

Yes, this is pretty easy to do in Motion. As it is in AfterEffects, but I like Motion.

Tell Motion you wish to work in 3-d workspace.

The card is going to be made up of multiple layers. Layer One is the card front. layer two is the opposite side of that card, and you put those two, back-to-back, in their own Group. Same deal for the other half of the card, and make THAT pair it's own Group. Now make a Group that contains the two lesser groups within it, and define where the "hinge" goes between them, to connect them. In this group, you animate the opening action of the card using keyframes. That overall master Group will now give you control in 3-d of movement and rotation of the opening card in all three axes, using one simple control set. It's easy to apply canned behaviors to the master Group and have the animation done for you.

Get back to that first Group: the one that has the card front and card's first inner page. You can map a photo and/or textures onto the blank card face, crop and adjust until the look is right.

To get lyrics to type themselves onto the inner surfaces of the cards, you can use built-in text behaviors, applied to the proper layer, in the proper Group.

The main organizing principle is that you go from individual items to Groups, then Groups of Groups. if you keep the naming conventions easy to remember things like "front face group", you won't get lost.

If you feel most confident in FCPX, it's possible for you to build each of the 4 card faces as single panels, with your art/textures and text builds done in FCPX. Then export each of the panels with easy to understand names, import those into Motion, create your Groups in the 3-d space and off you go.

Return to posts index

Jim Kehoe
on Jan 13, 2017 at 3:27:42 pm

Hey mark! Wow thanks a lot for that detailed response really really appreciated! Last question to you would be I can do this whole lyric video within motion correct? Drag the wav file of the song in and start animating the text correct? Thanks again for the help and tips

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 13, 2017 at 3:45:01 pm

Absolutely, and that gives you the timing you need. The music is just another imported Asset.

Return to posts index

Jim Kehoe
on Jan 13, 2017 at 6:59:54 pm

hey Mark, I've created the layers as you have said and grouped them, how do i go about adding a "hinge" - forgive me, i've never done this type of thing in motion :(

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 13, 2017 at 8:02:43 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Jan 13, 2017 at 8:07:53 pm

It's better to ask for Motion help in the Motion forum, but I'll see what I can do. The version I'm using here is older but the idea is the same.

I made a 3-d camera, then used the rectangle tool to make a white panel, duplicated it, colored the second panel gray just so you can tell them apart. The 2 panels are all in one master group so far, (see image)

I dragged the gray one off the top of the white one and put it edge to edge with it.

Near the top left are some options for the cursor: hover/press the cursor until you get the circle with round dot. This tool moves the "hinge point" or center of rotation, to where you need it, from the default place in the center of the rectangle, over to the edge, where it would look like a fold in a single sheet of paper, if both panels were the same color/texture. Use the colored arrows to place that hinge point right at the joint.

Once it's in place, select the gray rectangle, go over to the Inspector on the left side, find the rotation controls for X,Y and Z rotation, and see how you can now make the card seem to flap open and closed. This is keyframeable

Finally, collapse the two rectangles into their group, highlight the Group, and try rotating and moving the pieces as a unit. This is the fundamental concept behind how I would do your greeting card effects. Besides coloring the rectangles, you'd apply your text to them, and the text effects. You see only two rectangles here, but I would have made four identical ones: because your completed card has four faces. So I would make 4 sub-groups to "weld" two faces back-to-back in each of two groups, then connect the two groups by hinging one to the other, using the overall master Group, containing all the others, to manipulate the complete structure.

That's a quick-and-dirty explanation. Hope it helps.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 13, 2017 at 10:13:37 pm

Easier still in Motion 5- worth the $49...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jim Kehoe
on Jan 14, 2017 at 11:23:21 am

Mark, thank you so much for the help! made it happen after a lot of fiddling around for 15 hours LOL! Gonna end up doing the text in FCPX, exported out of Motion and finishing it in FCPX. If it wasnt for ur post i would have no clue what i am doing. Thank you, and also Mark Spencer from Ripple, big help! Love u guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]