FORUMS: list search recent posts

mp4 imports red

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
mp4 imports red
on Jan 12, 2017 at 5:20:02 pm

Occasionally I shoot something on my phone that I want to integrate into a video, but I'm finding that FCPX 10.3.1 doesn't like the mp4's that my Nexus 5x phone generates. The phone footage will import into FCPX, with a red tint applied to everything. I've tried a couple of different camera apps on the phone, as well, with the same result. If I convert the footage in Compressor I can get something usable, but it's not ideal. Has anybody else run into this?

Jason Jenkins
Better Video Starts Here

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: mp4 imports red
on Jan 12, 2017 at 7:49:48 pm

Probably something of an error in the original encoding. I would suggest conversion outside of X to be on the safe side.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 19, 2017 at 5:45:24 pm

Hmmm. I just discovered that this problem is new to FCPX 10.3. My phone footage worked fine in the last version.

Jason Jenkins
Better Video Starts Here

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Jan 20, 2017 at 8:22:05 pm

Make sure in System Preferences, your Color Display profile is set to default. Then in FCPX, try changing the Color Space Override in the Settings view of the Inspector.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 23, 2017 at 7:43:52 pm

[James Cude] "Make sure in System Preferences, your Color Display profile is set to default. Then in FCPX, try changing the Color Space Override in the Settings view of the Inspector."

There are a lot of different profiles in the display settings. I'm not sure which is the default. I'm assuming for my LG Ultrawide monitor, it's the profile named LG ULTRAWIDE. I've played with the Color Space Override setting, but I don't see any changes in the mp4's. It seems to be a file compatibility issue.

Jason Jenkins
Better Video Starts Here

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 23, 2017 at 10:07:18 pm

I'm testing, by doing some transcoding of the Mp4's as I import into FCPX. Some of the clips seem to be OK. Others come in with the red cast, but appear to be fixed by changing the Color Space Override to Rec. 709. Unfortunately, the "fix" doesn't last and they revert back to having a red cast. Some just turn pink when I set them to Rec. 709. I had no issues with these files before FCPX 10.3.

Jason Jenkins
Better Video Starts Here

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 23, 2017 at 10:29:00 pm

The original Mp4's seem fine at the finder level and will play back in Quicktime 10 with no problem. However, my ProRes optimized copies mostly have the red cast. This is so annoying.

Jason Jenkins
Better Video Starts Here

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 25, 2017 at 4:44:23 pm

I seem to have found a fix! If I change the mp4 file extensions to .mov and then set the Color Space Override to Rec. 709 in FCPX, the clips play back with no strange color issues! Yay!

Jason Jenkins
Better Video Starts Here

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]