FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Practices for Naming "SubClips"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Krieger
Best Practices for Naming "SubClips"
on Jan 4, 2017 at 7:48:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

Been using FCP for years but still am looking for the best workflow for naming clips. For my interviews, I typically sync my audio to my clips and then log by favoriting the best answers. I will add keywords to each clip to help categorize them. But when it comes to naming those favorites (typically with an abbreviated version the interviewees' answer), it's very difficult to quickly see those titles once I name them. I have to drill down by clicking each arrow for each clip just to see the name.

I've read online that renaming favorites is not the way to go...but rather to use keywords. But if I name each clip uniquely, that means I will have a bazillion keyword tags.

What's your best method for naming "subclips" (or a range w/in a clip)?

Thx!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Best Practices for Naming "SubClips"
on Jan 4, 2017 at 7:50:58 pm

I use the Notes field, which you can then search for in the Browser and setup Smart Collections to filter for. Keywords are designed to group clips of similar nature.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Jan 4, 2017 at 7:55:05 pm

Thx, Noah! Yeah, I've been doing that as well. But I still have to drill down...because if I use the Notes field for the big clip, it changes the Notes field for all of them. So, it requires me to drill down to the Notes field for the Favorites line. Which is the same as renaming the Favorites field. Still have to drill down.

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Jan 4, 2017 at 7:58:40 pm

I'd love to be able to rename each "subclip" and see in the browser (instead of "Sync'd 1" for each).

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Jan 4, 2017 at 11:56:14 pm

Try this shortcut to toggle all your clips in list view to show what you have logged. "command+a" to select all and then "option+left arrow / right arrow" to toggle on or off. Then when you do a search they will stay toggled and you can find your clips. Also, make sure you have in preferences to show detailed trimming feedback checked so when you scrub the clip so any keyword or marker will display.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jan 5, 2017 at 6:08:13 am

I understand your issue. It's not elegant enough for my taste either. I'd suggest sending feedback. I know for a fact they pay attention to the feedback they get there.

As far as your specific issue, I would do things slightly different. I sort by favorites with broll and other takes where I like to see just what I've chosen. But with INTV bites, I don't sort by favorites although I do create favorites for each answer. If you don't sort by favorites, you can isolate your INTV clip by keyword so you only have one clip in the browser. Twirl open the clip and all your favorites will be listed one after another.

You can use the arrow key to jump from bite to bite and selecting the favorite creates a range for it. Hopefully that will speed you up a bit.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]