FORUMS: list search recent posts

'Delete' button does not perform a ripple delete of in/out selections of single audio clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Hughes
'Delete' button does not perform a ripple delete of in/out selections of single audio clips
on Jan 3, 2017 at 6:09:27 pm

I know it's really specific, which is why it's really frustrating....

Just noticed in FCP 10.3.1 that when I press the 'Delete' button on an in/out selection of an audio clip, rather than performing a ripple delete, the in/out selection is replaced with silence and no cut is made to the clip (but the selection appears to be hidden). This only happens to in/out selections of single audio clips (if there are cuts inside the in/out selection, if it's video, if it's a selection of clips rather than in/out, a ripple delete is performed). And it only happens when pressing 'Delete' (Command X will perform a ripple delete). But I still like using the 'Delete' button to make ripple deletes in all cases (video clips, audio clips, cuts, no cuts, etc.).

Is there a way around this or to assign Ripple Delete to the 'Delete' key even though it does that anyway except in the case above?

I understand I can assign the 'Cut' command to the 'Delete' button, but I think in the long run that will screw me up when I actually need to copy/cut selections.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 'Delete' button does not perform a ripple delete of in/out selections of single audio clips
on Jan 3, 2017 at 7:56:53 pm

That hasn't changed since previous versions to my knowledge but you can of course re-assign any command to any key to suit your own workflows.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 'Delete' button does not perform a ripple delete of in/out selections of single audio clips
on Jan 3, 2017 at 10:55:52 pm

No, the action has definitely changed since 10.2.

See here:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/45395#45395

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 3, 2017 at 11:18:12 pm

It's just a new keyboard assignment...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 4, 2017 at 2:10:40 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jan 4, 2017 at 2:11:58 am

Steve Martin did a MacBreak on this right after 10.3 shipped.

With all the new multitrack Roles management system now plumbed into X by default a keystroke that potentially could "chop out" hidden content probably was seen as less preferable than one that just disabled everything but left all the potential sync relationships alone.

If you just work on simple video and stereo content, just takes a few seconds to remap delete to being a distructive ripple like before.

FWIW.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2017 at 2:46:08 am

[Bill Davis] "If you just work on simple video and stereo content, just takes a few seconds to remap delete to being a distructive ripple like before."

It does take two seconds, but then it screws up the delete key when you need it to do a ripple delete elsewhere.

This is an odd choice by apple. There was already a keystroke to set a selected range's volume to zero (and add level handles). This new remapping is contextual, meaning the delete key doesn't work the same everywhere, so therefore to perform the same ripple delete function, you have to use a certain keystroke depending on what kind of clip or storyline you are dealing with. It's confusing.

Remapping the delete key simply reverses the behavior. You will ripple delete audio only range's but not video ranges.

FWIW

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jan 4, 2017 at 4:15:38 am

One has to map a modifier + delete to the delete selection in the keyboard shortcuts panel. In the default keyboard short cuts this command is not implemented as a keyboard short cut.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2017 at 5:20:23 am

Yes.

"Delete selection only"

Explained here: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/45395#45395

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 20, 2017 at 2:07:47 am

Enough people must have disliked the change.

10.2.3 (out today) returns to the original behavior.

And so it goes!

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 5, 2017 at 2:00:27 am

That inconsistency based on context is a design trend that Apple has slowly adopted. The consistency between how the finder and almost any app on a Mac worked was one of the things that made me an Apple loyalist at least in turns of my choice of technology. They rightfully used to claim that their interface was "intuitive". I always felt, at least for me, that there was nothing truly intuitive about using any computer program. How it worked was up to the programmers and it had nothing to do with intuition. And if you used both PCs and Macs, you learned just how arbitrary the UI was. Command modifier on one computer was the Control modifier on another. Still is. What does control and command mean? Personally I would choose any of the names that are used on these keys, only call them all the same name adding 1,2,3, ... to differentiate them. mod 2, alt 2, command 2 control 2 opt 2. And color code them (and be consistent) And I'd add enough of them to cover all needs leaving shift to stay with its tried and true job. Or better, call it the CAP key. However, Apple's consistency in design did make it feel intuitive based on prior knowledge of other Mac apps. The only time I felt that a digital device and its interface was actually intuitive was the first generation iPod. I picked it up in the store, turned the big wheel like a wheel, cause what else would you do with it, instantly saw it scrolling down the list of songs, pushed its inner button when I wanted to select one, cause what else would you do, there were no other choices. And I did this upon picking it up the first time I had ever used it. Kind of like turning something on by using the on button or knob or pressing the metal thing in the middle of the steering wheel to beep someone or a door knob. Those things ARE intuitive. You know what else is intuitive scrolling the wheel on the mouse down to see what's on the bottom of the page. Yes I follow Apple's logic in theory that the thing that moves is going in the opposite direction as your finger but my eyes are going down the page not up because down is where I am looking for the thing I'm looking for. Further, its the way every other digital device scrolls so I am used to it. Its a gear. I'm pushing one down so the other will go up and bring me DOWN. Leave it alone. Apple to their credit gives us the option but their default is over thinkingly stupid. I know I'm rambling but Apple is also becoming much more like the old MS. They are doing things for us rather than leaving it up to users to learn the UI and do with it what they want. All that said, I still prefer Apple's UI cause by comparison I still have a lot of pre knowledge on how they work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]