FORUMS: list search recent posts

Partitioning to keep 7 suite and new FCPX happy in same imac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Partitioning to keep 7 suite and new FCPX happy in same imac
on Dec 29, 2016 at 8:10:17 pm

Looking for the step by step suggestions for adding a partition to run the FCP7 suite in an older OS within a partition of a 3 TB drive running Sierra and the latest version of FCPX.

Day to day I will be in Sierra, which came with the new (used) imac 27 and using FCPX but will want to dip into the time warp partition to do stuff in DVDSP and FCP7 from time to time.

I don't partition drives every day so somebody please walk me through it.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Partitioning to keep 7 suite and new FCPX happy in same imac
on Dec 29, 2016 at 8:26:05 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Dec 29, 2016 at 8:27:41 pm

http://osxdaily.com/2016/06/20/install-macos-sierra-dual-boot-el-capitan/ Shows for Beta Sierra- but idea is the same.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 29, 2016 at 10:15:35 pm

That looks simple enough, but since I'm kinda doing it in reverse vis-a-vis the article, where do I get a copy of Snow Leopard or whatever, to host the old suite on in the the new partition?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 29, 2016 at 11:45:47 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Dec 29, 2016 at 11:45:59 pm

Not sure what you mean- if you don't already have an existing copy of the 'old' OS you're out of luck...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 30, 2016 at 9:32:33 am

FCP 7 runs well under El Capitan and I'll assume it runs under Sierra as well although I haven't done that personally. Unless there's other legacy software you need to run, just install Sierra on a new partition and then install FCP legacy.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 30, 2016 at 1:33:40 pm

Mark, I've been running a similar setup on my Mac Pro for a couple of years. The only difference being that I'm running separate boot disks. People do run FCP7 on later OS's but it's not perfect. The first thing to break was the FCP voice over tool under Lion. The color pickers have been broken for two or three years on the later OS's. You can pick up a copy of Snow Leopard on Ebay for next to nothing, that will allow the full FCS3 suite to run as expected. That being said, your iMac depending on it's age, may complain when you try to install 10.6. Only one way to find out.
With caveat's, Mountain Lion is the last OS that will run FCS3 so maybe you have some elbow room there. Mountain Lion is still available from Apple.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 30, 2016 at 2:07:27 pm

Thanks for that; I do still want to be able to use DVDSP which I believe stopped working in the new OS's long before FCP7 did.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 30, 2016 at 8:56:01 pm

Hmmm... One of the big deals about Mavericks (and I think mostly undocumented) was that it improved compatibility with the legacy FCP suite. Can't vouch for how well FCP itself works as the only thing I ever use it for is to convert legacy projects to FCPX but DVDSP, etc has been working for me since then. Can't hurt to create a partition and give it a go.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]