FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Issues on FCPX 10.3.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Mott
Importing Issues on FCPX 10.3.1
on Dec 28, 2016 at 5:35:41 pm

Hello everyone! I was hoping to get some help from the community. I am having some issues, since updating to FCPX 10.3.1. I thought that it might be bug issues, but the most recent update has not done anything to fix the situation.

Basically I am experiencing two separate importing issues, that I never had with 10.2.

1) When I bring my footage in, whether its being locally stored, or being imported from a RAID, I need to create proxies of all my footage. It will not let me edit from the original media. Why? I was always able to edit from my original footage and never had to transcode media. I have checked all the import settings and have tested different things, including library location changes...yet I still need to create a proxy of all my individual media.

2) My graphics, exported from Motion 5.3, as Apple Pro Res 4444, are now importing to FCPX 10.3.1 as low quality. When they export out of FCPX, they are also low quality and pixelated. They look great coming out of Motion..and play back at full resolution...but once placed in FCPX 10.3.1 their quality diminishes, and they do not render out at full quality.

I can not seem to find what I am missing here. It has to be an import setting that is causing these issues. Anybody able to help? Again, I have not had any of these issues prior to the upgrade...and as much as I like the upgrade I am HATING that I did it. Any help I can get would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!

Here is my system that I am working with:

Apple iMac - OS X Sierra 10.12.2
Processor: 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 32GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Dan Mott
Video Production Director | Shaw Media & Pro Football Weekly
Producer | Chicago Football NOW (WCIU)

danmott.dp@gmail.com

http://www.profootballweekly.com | http://www.shawmediadigital.com/video

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Importing Issues on FCPX 10.3.1
on Dec 28, 2016 at 6:56:49 pm

What format is the original media? And when you say you *need* to create proxies do you mean they are being created automatically or you cannot edit because FCPX reports missing proxy media?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Dan Mott
on Dec 28, 2016 at 7:04:07 pm

Noah,

Thank you so much for the response. As far as the original media, it's raw video from the camera. We use a Canon 60D to shoot, and those files are typically H.264 MOV files.

I apologize for not being more clear in my post about the proxy media...when I say I *need* to create proxies, I mean that we cannot edit because FCPX reports missing proxy media. We then have to transcode a proxy. It's just weird because we never had to rely on a proxy in the past with our media, and we have been using FCPX since it came out.

Again, thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

- Dan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 28, 2016 at 7:18:40 pm

Also, did you do the pro video format update when you updated to 10.3?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 28, 2016 at 8:36:34 pm

FCPX will only report "Missing Proxy" if you've chosen Proxy mode in the Viewer:

If you toggle back to Optimized/Original, this warning will go away. That said— you'll get far better performance via optimized or proxy media from H.264 original media.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Dan Mott
on Dec 29, 2016 at 7:19:58 pm

BOOM!! You guys are the best. That fixed the issue. Unreal, that a simple view setting caused 2 weeks of headaches. This forum never disappoints. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. Have a Happy New Year!!

Dan Mott
Video Production Director | Shaw Media & Pro Football Weekly
Producer | Chicago Football NOW (WCIU)

danmott.dp@gmail.com

http://www.profootballweekly.com | http://www.shawmediadigital.com/video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]