FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to move an object in an image with Draw Mask

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Medel
How to move an object in an image with Draw Mask
on Dec 23, 2016 at 5:25:25 pm

Hey guy, I couldn't find a thread about this and I think it's because I'm not sure how to describe it in search terms and I know it's something really basic. I've achieved it once before but I'm not much of a graphics guy and I totally forgot how I did it.

Basically, there's a person in my shot that I want to move just a few millimeters to align with another object. I duplicated my clip and drew a mask around the person along with some empty space around him to hide his true position starting to peek out in the clip underneath. I want to animate the shape mask but I don't know how to "cut out" the shape I made and move it. When I grab the bezier shape, it just moves the outline but the object it traces just stays where it is.

I did it before in Motion but I can't remember exactly what I did. I'd prefer to do it within FCP X and will do it in After Effects as a last resort. I know it can be done without any plugins so I'm not interested in that. It's just a couple of seconds of footage and I know this is a technique that is common in every graphic design program. What am I overlooking?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: How to move an object in an image with Draw Mask
on Dec 23, 2016 at 7:00:23 pm

Try making a compound clip of the footage you've masked. That should let you move it, rather than the mask. For more control than that you probably want to be working directly in Motion itself.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]