FORUMS: list search recent posts

29.97p to 25p frame rate conversion - any better solutions out there to minimize the visible dropped frames?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lee
29.97p to 25p frame rate conversion - any better solutions out there to minimize the visible dropped frames?
on Dec 23, 2016 at 4:55:04 pm
Last Edited By Sam Lee on Dec 23, 2016 at 4:55:26 pm

I'm editing content all shot in 29.97pN but have to deliver this in 1080-25p for oversea broadcasters. I noticed when I put in the 29.97p edited master file to a 25p timeline for final conversion, there is 1 dropped frame for every 6 frames needed to fit in a 25p timeline. I guess there is no way around this because it's 29.97pN originated raw content.

1 of 6 dropped frames to me is reasonable. It's not visibly distracting but still technically there're dropped frames. I know Netflix will not tolerate this and the delivery has to be in native 29.97pN. But for broadcasting, it's a different thing.

Will the retime or optical flow in Compressor help to smooth this out or should I leave it alone?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: 29.97p to 25p frame rate conversion - any better solutions out there to minimize the visible dropped frames?
on Dec 23, 2016 at 6:55:42 pm

Here in Australia, I've had material rejected because FCPX is lousy at deinterlacing but never because of whatever it's doing to conform non-25p material. If in doubt you might want to run your master through JES Deinterlacer instead. I've never had a network have an issue with either its deinterlacing or standards conversion.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 29.97p to 25p frame rate conversion - any better solutions out there to minimize the visible dropped frames?
on Dec 23, 2016 at 11:13:01 pm

Also finding someone who has one of the Blackmagic Teranex boxes would be wise- those are industry standard.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Dec 26, 2016 at 4:06:02 pm

Ah. Looking into Teranix. Somehow these hardware devices are undetectable by qc tools such as Orion and Baton. They use propriety algorithm to do their frame rate and up scaling process.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 26, 2016 at 5:29:42 pm

Well it's not so much that they're undetectable it's that they are good at what they do...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]