FORUMS: list search recent posts

2016 MacBookPro not supporting Pro display !

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew London
2016 MacBookPro not supporting Pro display !
on Dec 21, 2016 at 8:31:37 pm

(While this is NOT a FCP-X specific question, I'm posting this here as I know you are all A) using Macintosh and B) probably have professional monitors)

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro (with USB-C and TouchBar).
I am NOT able to use it with my NEC PA322UHD high-end monitor (UHD resolution 3840x2160)
The monitor has DisplayPort, DVI-D and HDMI inputs.

- I have tried Apple’s new Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to to connect the NEC MiniDisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable
- Have also tried new Apple’s USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter to HDMI
- And also tried Apple’s older Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter with the new Thunderbolt adapter.

None of these work. The monitor works fine with my older 2014 MacBookPro with MiniDisplay port.
Wondering if anyone else has had experience with this issue, and if so, what solution worked for you.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: 2016 MacBookPro not supporting Pro display !
on Dec 22, 2016 at 2:19:18 pm

I think I'm in the same boat. But I think your second adapter, the HDMI one, should work. Not sure why it doesn't, but I haven't tried that one.

A standard miniDP to DVI/HDMI/MDP, etc) cable won't work. The monitors have to be "thunderbolt aware." However, if you run first to a device like a raid or a drive that has thunderbolt loop through, it somehow adds back in the DVI aware signal or something. It's all quite ridiculous. But I tried exactly what you did last night. Just used a TB3 (usbc) to TB2 Apple adapter to hook up a Mini Display port to DVI cable (that works with my iMac fine) and I get nothing. HOWEVER, if I run a TB cable from that same TB3 to TB2 adapter to my pegasus raid, and then plug that mini display port cable into the back of the pegasus raid and hook it up to the monitor, it works perfectly.

Still not sure why your HDMI adapter doesn't work. I don't have one of those and was thinking I'd be getting one for my other monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]