FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why Can't FCPX 10.3 Render Useable Files?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Bennett
Why Can't FCPX 10.3 Render Useable Files?
on Dec 21, 2016 at 5:16:57 pm

I just updated my iMac Yosemite to macOS Sierra and upgraded to FCPX 10.3. Just finished my first wedding edit with 10.3. But FCPX and Compressor can’t rendered anything usable. The MP4 version looks like bad YouTube video. Nowhere near the 1080p HD it should be. And the M2V file for DVD…. well for some reason it can’t do black. All the black areas in the video have what looks like static noise. Looks more like some kind of filter since it never changes. Where I usually have solid black backgrounds behind my credits at the end, the black looks “snowy”. But the snow isn't moving.

Did not have these issues with the previous version of FCPX and Compressor. Any ideas on how to render usable projects in 10.3?

Info: the wedding video is 75 mins long. M2V file size is 3.6GB.

Thanks.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Why Can't FCPX 10.3 Render Useable Files?
on Dec 21, 2016 at 6:37:03 pm

For me the encoding actually got better and faster after the update. Firsts thought is to make sure you've also installed the latest pro codecs update.

did you do a clean install or an upgrade? Are you exporting from final cut or sending to compressor? Using built in settings or custom presets? Does it happen if you log in as a new user? Does it happen with everything or just particular source codecs? Is it just those codecs you mentioned or does exporting to ProRes have the same issues.

What steps have you taken so far to diagnose the problem? Have you tried deleting and re-installing fvpx, compressor, etc?

More info please...

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Dec 21, 2016 at 7:19:11 pm

OK, how and where do I get the latest codecs?

This was an upgrade install. I have tried exporting from both FCPX and Compressor (mp4 and m2v). Mostly Built-In present and ever tried modifying some settings but not sure how they are affecting any difference. I don't have any user login setting for FCPX. This is my 1st project in 10.2 and don't know what codecs I might be using other than whats use for mp4 and m2v. Haven't tired ProRes yet since I use that to archive the master. I'll run that but may not provide any info since as far as the DVD, I still have to provide an m2v file for DVD. Maybe convert the ProRes to mp4? But why? FCPX should work as it did in 10.2.

I haven't attempted to uninstall and reinstall.

???

THX

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 22, 2016 at 5:22:21 pm

Uninstall and reinstall is as simple as deleting FCPX and redownloading from the App Store. Also you should see the ProVideo codecs update appear in the App Store as a download as well. Or force here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1898?locale=en_US

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Dec 22, 2016 at 6:08:01 pm

The new codecs seemed to have fix the problem.

Thanks a bunch.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FCPX 10.3 Render Files
on Dec 21, 2016 at 7:15:03 pm

Make sure you take a good look at your export settings- some of the destination types have been updated. All outputs are looking at least as good as previous versions to my eyes/monitors.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Dec 21, 2016 at 7:25:31 pm

If you saw what I'm getting you'd be disappointed too.

I did find out that using Combined Clips does lower picture quality where you have mixed 30fps and 60fps footage. 30fps is unwatchable when you render a Combined Clip to MP4. Just ran a test. It's like night and day.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 21, 2016 at 9:28:40 pm

are you sure you're not exporting in Proxy mode? That's an easy mistake to make.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Dec 21, 2016 at 10:07:28 pm

Proxy? I really haven't used any at this point. And I don't know how I would be rendering that out when it's all coming from the FCPX timeline into Compressor.

I just ran a Blu-ray thru and it's perfect. Blacks are solid black and no "noise". Also ran a 4K version even though there is no 4K footage and it was very clean as well.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 22, 2016 at 1:00:07 am

are you running in Proxy mode- if so that will affect your exports...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Dec 22, 2016 at 3:45:39 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Dec 22, 2016 at 3:46:27 pm

Also bear in mind that if you can actually change the 1080 export settings in FCP X to a lower resolution. And it's sticky, so the next time you export it, it will be the lower resolution. Check your output settings before submitting.

Also, I've seen that snow issue with some systems. It was an OS display issue that was not actually in the MP4 file. Check the file on another computer to see if it truly is in the MP4 file or not.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Dec 22, 2016 at 6:07:03 pm

After installing the latest ProVideo codecs my DVD came out perfect.

Thanks to all.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Dec 22, 2016 at 4:29:27 pm

I just had a similar experience with creating a DVD in DVD Studio Pro. The content was a local theatre production recorded in AVCHD, 1920x1080, 30p. I imported to FCPX 10.3 on a 720 Timeline, then exported as a Master File - ProRes LT. Then I used Compressor 4.3 to prepare for DVD (.m2v). The only time I see noise in blacks is on the DVD. Perhaps DVD Studio Pro is the weak link in the chain when it "builds" the DVD?

- Gerry Fraiberg
Media Handyman - videographer, editor, photographer, voice over artist.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]