FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to fcx

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Payne
New to fcx
on Dec 11, 2016 at 10:28:17 pm

Hey guys,
I've been using final cut 6 for nearly a decade and I've upgraded to an imac so I'm studying up on procedures on fcx. If you'd humor me for a few mind numbingly intro questions I'd greatly appreciate it. I've been watching tons of videos (lots of Larry Jordan fcx stuff) to try and make sure I don't make some misstep in the setup stages of a film project.

1. The keywords seem really handy, but there's also the option to make different events in my library. I'm used to creating a folder/bin for each scene in my film project (in fc6). That's how I've been organizing and reviewing clips for years. If I want to isolate batches of video clips for each scene of the film should I import each set of clips to a new "event" for each individual scene, or put them all in one event and just keyword each scene so I can look at them that way? Curious what you guys do.

2. I see that you can import and have fcx convert your footage to prores 422. My footage is already 422 so I'm assuming I can just skip that step and not have it double the footage on my hard drive. Sound right?

3. Apparently there's no need to hit the "save" button....feels odd and dangerous. Just confirming that's the norm.

Please feel free to shoot me any advise that pertains to using fcx for the first time. I've been editing my own films for a long time, but I also know how badly you can mess yourself over if you make some simple mistake up front.

Thanks for any info!

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: New to fcx
on Dec 11, 2016 at 11:49:30 pm

1. I prefer to use multiple events for scenes rather than keywords but others don't. Even if you use multiple events, you can still apply keywords and use them either within the event or globally across the entire library. try both ways and see which you prefer.

2. You can choose the "leave in place" option on import and FCPX will use the footage you point it to without copying it. The only exception is footage like AVCHD that it has to rewrap to use.

3. Correct - there is no save button. Everything you do is saved as you go. In practice, it's rare that a crash costs you more than the last few key clicks.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 12, 2016 at 1:57:38 am

Get thee to Ripple Training. Save yourself months of frustration.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on Dec 12, 2016 at 4:36:04 am

Thanks so much for the advice!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 12, 2016 at 2:34:11 pm

As a long time legacy user and Premiere/Avid, you will have a fun time learning trust me :)

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on Dec 12, 2016 at 6:11:42 pm

So far so good. ☺
I'm messing with syncing audio. In the past I've just manually synced, but I'm trying to use faster methods. Do you guys use the sync tool within fcx? There doesn't seem to be a way to do it once you've put your clips into the timeline. I'm playing around with syncing them in the browser, but it seems they must be in the same event for it to work.
Thanks for any info!

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 12, 2016 at 7:30:19 pm

Yes, I pretty much always use the FCPX sync tools although some prefer the results from Pluraleyes. In the browser you select your clip and the audio and use the create synchronised clip command.

I can't recommend highly enough that you go do some basic training in FCPX as soon as you can. Or even do something crazy like reading the user guide. Any other path will on,y lead to months of frustration.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 15, 2016 at 2:33:44 am

check out Ripple Training .

1. X has the best organization tools ever. There is not right or wrong way.

I organize initially by copying my media cards to folders in the finder that I label with scene and "reel" .
I then import into FCP X. The result is it goes into the same event as the others but will import with the name of the finder folder. This can be used in a sort of the media or merge with other media if you use a different sort.

Plus now I have some redundancy - the original card files and the media copy in FCP X.

Then back up your entire project to another drive and you have at least 3 copies of your media and FC auto back ups the small file that stores the edits.

I use keywords for fine tuning organization once I am editing.

I use different events for different media types.

A lot depends on how complex the project is.

2. Don't need to skip a step. FCP will only transcode as needed upon import though the latest version seems to be spending time transcoding which i didn't see before so maybe its less automatic than is was. Not sure.

3. Yeah its auto save and it works great. A crash is about the only time that I lost and edit or two. But for the most part its incredibly reliable. and command z will undo all the way back to the start of the session. so no worries about experimenting and only saving if you sure you like it. experiment away and can always undo.
or dupe it and try a different approach.

4. you are getting on board at a good time. lots of improvements in the last update. Feel its come of age and Apple isn't getting rid of it any time soon.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on Dec 15, 2016 at 3:01:39 am

Awesome info. Thanks so much, guys! I'm really enjoying using it so far. I've watched tons of training videos and taken notes and it honestly hasn't been tricky at all so far. I edited on Resolve a little prior to this and they have similar setups so maybe that helped the transition.

I have noticed that I can only use the built in audio syncing option if the audio and video clip are stored in the same event. Is that accurate or is there a way around that?

If you guys encountered any issues that you wish you'd known about when you first started using fcpx I'd love to hear them. So far it feels like I'm going about it the right way....if that makes any sense.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]