FORUMS: list search recent posts

with a frame rate of 23.98 can I not cut to fast music?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Veitch
with a frame rate of 23.98 can I not cut to fast music?
on Dec 4, 2016 at 10:05:26 pm

I'm having trouble cutting on the beat in a fast track; FCPx will blade to the place adjacent to where I wanted the cut to be. I'm assuming this is because that's where the frame begins; is there a way around this?

I thought perhaps I could double the frame rate of that particular project (or maybe all the projects in the library) And that would allow me to be more precise but wanted to find out whether that would come back to bite me in the ass later on?

Good idea? Bad idea?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: with a frame rate of 23.98 can I not cut to fast music?
on Dec 4, 2016 at 11:03:04 pm

Your project frame rate needs to be set based on the deliver format - 29.97 for most US broadcast, 23.976 (23.98) for filmstyle videos or for artistic reasons, and 59.94 for US broadcasts delivering as 720p.

Your video editing can only occur on the accuracy of the frame rate, i.e. 24 cuts a second for 23.98, 30 cuts per second for 29.97, and so on. Music beats on which you might want to make an exact cut will not necessary fall in exactly the right place as possible picture edits.

Let's say you want to end up at 29.97 so you decide to double it to 59.94 for cutting. In the end it will get converted back to 29.97. However, this will only look clean if it is interlaced. If it is progressive, you will end up with some frames comprised of two mixed frames. Generally that looks funky and might fail QC, depending on where it's going.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

James Veitch
on Dec 4, 2016 at 11:51:21 pm

Thanks!! It's for a tv show eventually so I'm guessing I have to leave it be?
Why would it be converted back if I convert it to 59.94?

But I don't think I'm going to touch it beyond doubling; I literally have no idea how I'd get it to 29.97; I'm guessing that's something compressor could take care of for me.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 5, 2016 at 12:05:18 am

It would be converted back to 29.97 for broadcast. You won't be able to submit if it isn't. Broadcasters typically work in 29.97fps Interlaced (1080i). The exception are the few who work in the 720p format, which is 59.94fps Progressive. I wouldn't get too carried away with this. Accuracy at 1/24th, 1/25th and 1/30th has been fine for a long time. Add to the fact that most people who bought new TVs left them at the default set-up. Many have a 120Hz function, which repeats frames, so your signal gets even more messed with.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Gregor Queck
on Dec 5, 2016 at 10:53:46 am
Last Edited By Gregor Queck on Dec 5, 2016 at 10:56:09 am

Another way is to retime the music to fit the frame rate:
Count the beats, lay markers on the music, count the frames (seconds) -> observe what you usually 'cutrate' is (e.g. every 15/30/45 frames), divide, (retime to fit the markers to your 'cutrate') -> conquer :)

. . .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]