FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keyboard shortcut question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Keyboard shortcut question
on Dec 1, 2016 at 6:16:51 pm

Is there a keyboard shortcut to open or close all of the disclosure triangles at one time for the group headings in the browser? For example, these could be date or assigned scene numbers with a set of clips below each divider. I'd like to be able to close all groups at once in order to selectively open the one or two groups I want to work with at any given time. TIA.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Keyboard shortcut question
on Dec 1, 2016 at 6:27:24 pm

Holding down the alt/opt key when opening a group will open everything inside it.

Does that help?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Dec 1, 2016 at 6:28:59 pm

I think Its command -option and down arrow? Dang now I forget....

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Dec 1, 2016 at 6:41:14 pm

This appears to be buggy. In 10.2.3 Command click (on any triangle) would open/close all. Yesterday with 10.3 I found that Command Option click worked. Today nothing works. I just tried every combination. Must report to Apple....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 1, 2016 at 6:48:23 pm

If you hold option and close the Library disclosure triangle, it will close all the other disclosures too (just click the library triangle again to open the library with all the Events closed).

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 1, 2016 at 8:43:14 pm

select all then option right or left arrow to open/close. Same as the finder.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Dec 1, 2016 at 9:57:37 pm

I believe OP is talking about in the Browser and not in the Library. Just yesterday I could command click on any disclosure triangle and it would open or close all categories (sorted by file type in this case). Today it is not working. It was wonky in 10.2.3 also.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 1, 2016 at 10:06:42 pm

Hi Nick,

I'm running 10.2.3 here, and the method is "alt/opt" and not "command".

It also seems to be working just fine in this system as it has always done.

I'm guessing there's a problem with 10.3?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 1, 2016 at 10:10:45 pm

What's the difference? The library exists in the browser. All the disclosure triangles work the same. Except in the case of ACTUAL groups where for some reason the keyboard doesn't do it. But option click still does. It's been option click as far back as I remember.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 1, 2016 at 10:11:32 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Dec 1, 2016 at 10:16:58 pm

All of it is working here on 10.3.1, either Browser in list view or library level.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 1, 2016 at 10:12:51 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Dec 1, 2016 at 10:27:32 pm

Opt/alt click is an OS-wide convention to open all enclosed folders and items. Not sure where the idea of command click comes from. Perhaps this ...

http://best-mac-tips.com/2012/01/21/expand-all-folders-apple-finder/

EDIT: Cmd+Right arrow opens all enclosed folders (in the Finder), not all enclosed items, whereas alt/opt+right arrow opens all enclosed items including folders. I'm not convinced that Cmd+click (or right arrow) has ever opened enclosed items or folders in FCP X, but I could be wrong.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 2, 2016 at 12:29:24 am

The commands work, but not within the selected pane itself. See image below. The arrows point to what Im trying to open/close.

On a side note, when I tried some modifier+arrow keystrokes the other night, about half of my clips disappeared from the Event. Not hidden. Gone. However, there were still there when I viewed the Library. Some sort of bug. I had to delete all of the clips from the Event and then copy them back to the Event from the Library. Hence my post on the debate side about why we even have Events anymore in this version.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Dec 2, 2016 at 3:27:52 pm

I'm on 10.3.1 and if I select a group of clips that are key worded or favorites, which is to say they have disclosure triangles, and option right arrow, all dislosure triangles are opened, option left arrow closes all.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 2, 2016 at 3:39:32 pm

[Mark Smith] "all dislosure triangles are opened, option left arrow closes all."

Correct, but look at my image. The commands do not open or close the grouping disclosure triangles. That was the original question. If you "select all", then the commands open and close the clips within, but not the groups themselves. FWIW - I CAN do that with folders in Premiere.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 2, 2016 at 3:43:17 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Correct, but look at my image. The commands do not open or close the grouping disclosure triangles. That was the original question. If you "select all", then the commands open and close the clips within, but not the groups themselves. FWIW - I CAN do that with folders in Premiere.
"

Check your keyboard shortcuts and make sure that they aren't being used for something else. You should check in FCPX and at the system level.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 2, 2016 at 3:59:36 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Check your keyboard shortcuts and make sure that they aren't being used for something else. You should check in FCPX and at the system level."

As I keep saying, the commands work correctly for clips. Just not group headers. If you "select all", the group headers are not selected.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 2, 2016 at 4:09:10 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Just not group headers. "

Now I see what you're talking about.

If you option-command-click the disclosure, it will open and close all if you are in Filmstrip view, but not in list view.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 3, 2016 at 1:09:42 pm

Overall, I'm finding this version to be pretty buggy compared to previous versions. Lots of little UI issues.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Dec 2, 2016 at 1:35:03 pm

This is puzzling. I know how it's "supposed" to work.

I have done all of the standard troubleshooting and it still doesn't work with any key combination. The only disclosure triangle in the browser that opens or closes (no matter what modifier keys I use) is the one I click on.

Related functions on my system (i.e.: in Finder etc.) work properly. No issue anywhere else.

I have deleted prefs, re-installed, updated to Sierra, Safe Boot, rama-lama ding-dong.....

Have reported to Apple and will continue to experiment when I get a chance to see if I can come up with anything else. I can only assume it's a bug at this time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]