FORUMS: list search recent posts

best way of sharing projects with different editors?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
best way of sharing projects with different editors?
on Dec 1, 2016 at 10:23:08 am

So I will work on one project with different editors. They don't work in house so I will hand the material to them. I've to admit I have never done this before using Final Cut Pro X so I would be VERY THANKFUL if you could give me some advice how to tackle this task the most elegant way and how to hand over my material to the other editors.

We are shooting 30 short films (1/2 minutes each). Each editor will work on X of those films. I have all the footage so I will hand the material of film A, B,C to editor 1 and so on. We film different footage on different days SO filming on day 1 won't be all the footage for film A. Film A might consist of footage from day 1,4 and 9.
I've got lists of what was filmed what day and I know what final films we need (ie film 1: Horses).

Now how to I tackle all this?

I would create 1 Library and create 30 (30 short films) Events inside that 1 Library labelled Film 1, Film 2... and put all the correct footage inside the corresponding days.

Now how do I hand Event Film 1 and just the footage of Event Film 1 (transcoded and original media would be the best I guess?) to other editors? Would it really be find the correct clips inside of the finder and copy files around I find in the finder or what would be the most elegant way / how do I share other Events with other editors (we trade files via portable hard drives). What would be the best way to "load" their edited films into my "master Library" once they are done? Should I use smart collections for a reason I do not know yet? Any other advice?

Thanks a million.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: best way of sharing projects with different editors?
on Dec 1, 2016 at 8:49:34 pm

So if everything they need is in an event, simply highlight the event and select file>copy event to new library.

After that completes, since they don't have the media already, open the new library, select the library and in the library preferences pane choose to store the media IN the library and then choose consolidate media. It'll give you the option of original or optimized or proxy etc. I don't see what the point of copying the original would be if you've transcoded it. By the same means if you need to same the space, I wouldn't see the point in copying the optimized over because they can just create that on their end if they need it. If it's h264 based 1080p and they have something other than a MacPro, they shouldn't need to optimize.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]