FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with playback after exporting from Final cut pro x

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Annis Joslin
Problems with playback after exporting from Final cut pro x
on Nov 30, 2016 at 2:36:56 pm

Hi I need to share the film I've made for a client so they can play it on various laptops/computers (probably PC's) (hooked up to projectors/large screens) and so far they have had problems playing the files I have provided. I exported an H.264/MP4 file as I thought this was the best to use. However they have had problems with playback - freezing image but sound continuing to play or playing they stopping half way through. I've had this problem before and I'd really like to resolve it so i can be sure I'm providing a file that plays. Is this a common problem or is there solution out there...
Any help gladly appreciated.
Thanks
Annis

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
Re: Problems with playback after exporting from Final cut pro x
on Nov 30, 2016 at 4:35:01 pm

Are you using the Export panel in FCPX, or are you using a Share Destination / Compressor preset?

When exporting mp4 from the Export panel, FCPX generates a file with more than 2x the necessary bitrate for a quality encode. I've had much better luck with Compressor presets, setup as a Share destinations.

To really get to the bottom of it though, it would be useful to get info about the client's playback hardware and software.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Annis Joslin
on Nov 30, 2016 at 4:44:26 pm

Hi thanks for your help - I have generally been doing it within Final Cut but good idea to try compressor as there was one they were ok with and I many have done that through compressor now I think about it. The problem is I don;t know what they will be playing it on as it will vary depending on where the training is taking place which they are using the film for. All I know is that they will be PC laptops or computers.
Thanks
Annis

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Nov 30, 2016 at 6:11:14 pm

depending on the content of the source video ( if the cut is really kinetic with lots of crazy graphics your mileage may vary) I tend to Share with the Apple devices 1080 or 720 preset in the share section. I 've had very few complaints with these presets.

Return to posts index

Annis Joslin
on Nov 30, 2016 at 8:11:35 pm

thanks for you help

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Nov 30, 2016 at 6:27:36 pm

I have rarely had a problem getting the default FCPX H264 1080p export to play on laptops or mobile devices unless there is something wrong with them.

However Doug is right -- FCPX does export 1080p/30 at about 20 megabits/sec, which is probably higher than needed. E.g, Youtube recommends 10 megabits/sec for 1080p/30.

A good fall-back option for smaller public projection or training is also export a version at 720p which reduces the data load by about 1/2, and is easier for ancient equipment to handle. For most venues other than large theaters, it is unlikely the audience can see the difference. Everything broadcast by ABC, Fox and ESPN is exclusively 720p.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Nov 30, 2016 at 6:41:45 pm

Something else mentioned upthread is that the video is being used for training... time for an anecdote:

We have a client running newish versions of Windows with an older version of Office (2007). When we deliver video to this client, we ask if they plan to link the file(s) to PowerPoint slides, which is a common scenario for training. If so, we output nasty old MPEG1. PPT 2007 will mangle .mp4 video in all manner of interesting ways, while MPEG1 will play perfectly. On the same machine, Windows Media Player will play back the .mp4 file just fine.

This is the one and only reason I keep a copy of Sorenson Squeeze active, as Compressor is really lacking in the MPEG1 department. We've tried various flavors of .wmv, but have had mixed results.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Annis Joslin
on Nov 30, 2016 at 8:15:39 pm

Hi thanks for this, love an anecdote! I might try to get more info about how they will be playing it. I think the reality is they may be using quite ancient equipment and so I'm encountering the old mac/pc problems. Thanks for all your help - this is the first time I've used Creative Cow should have tried it years ago!

Return to posts index

Annis Joslin
on Nov 30, 2016 at 8:13:17 pm

HI thanks I've noticed that 720 plays better on my old laptop so may try that again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]