FORUMS: list search recent posts

Effects, key frames not transferring to different machine

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Bonner
Effects, key frames not transferring to different machine
on Nov 28, 2016 at 10:16:15 pm

I thought I would try out the awesome new feature of consolidating motion effects inside of library for the first time today. I then opened up my project on a different machine. The entire project was contained on a external drive, no linking or anything of the sort required. It opened just fine, but there were no effects applied to the clips. I had done a subrole mix with standard eq, compressor, etc. on each of the subrole lanes. Not only were they gone, but all of the keyframing I had done to each subrole was gone as well. Anyone else having difficulties?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Effects, key frames not transferring to different machine
on Nov 29, 2016 at 1:56:16 am

Where is the library located? How did you move it?

Return to posts index

Mike Bonner
on Nov 29, 2016 at 3:06:13 am

The library is on the external drive along with all of the associated media (not stored in library). I did not move the library to a different finder location, I physically moved the drive across the room to a different machine (with and updated version of fcpx, of course).

And, to update: I reconnected the drive back on the original machine and opened up the project. Now, I was assuming the 2nd machine had trouble linking the effects, and therefore they were "offline", and everything would be fine back on the original computer. Guess what? All the effects and keyframes were gone! Thank you incremental saving. I am very lucky I had saved a backup project to a different disk, and after deleting the problem project and opening the backup, all the effects and keyframes were back.

This, in my mind, is a MASSIVE FAIL. All that you would have to do is accidentally open up the wrong project from an external drive or server, and all of your effect and mixing work is erased? If the backup project that I had saved had not worked, I would have lost at least a day's work. My guess is that this has something to do with switching between role and subrole "mode" when working with audio lanes. I believe the project may have opened in role mode, and therefore lost all of the subrole effects. I know there is a warning when doing this when working in your project, but I did not receive any warning messages. I'm not positive about that theory, I only thought about that after deleting the project.

But, one thing I know for sure. Be careful with this new role functionality! It's not what I would call non-destructive! You can't go from subrole to role mode without losing work. You can't go back to a previous version after doing a mix on a compound clip (since any changes to the compound clip will change the clip in the browser, not just the timeline). And now it looks life you can't open up your project on a different computer after applying subrole effects to a compound clip without loosing them.

Stay safe, my friends.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 29, 2016 at 3:55:00 pm

I learned something new today that may or may not be related. In trying to consolidate a project for archiving, I merged all the motion content into the library. But guess what. Nothing consolidated into the library. Turns out I only have one effect that isn't standard... Ripple TitleMations. And it's an FXFactory title. It should've copied I figured. But I'm guessing either because it's got copyright protection or because it's fxplug or something that it doesn't get copied.

Which is actually good if I want to archive something for a client and they haven't purchased said plugins, then they can either purchase them or bring the project back to me.

Kinda wish my BretFX plugins had this copy protection too!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 29, 2016 at 4:06:11 pm

Update - it just seems that my system is dysfunctional. Apparently no effect/title/generator/transition will consolidate into the library on this project. Not sure why.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 29, 2016 at 4:26:49 pm

I had to recreate the consolidated library and consolidate the effects again and this time it worked. Something was awry with the original consolidated project I guess.

So this does kinda beg the question of licensing. Sure FxFactory based plugins have licensing, as do some of the major MVFX ones, but for the multitude of plugins out there this just makes it easier to accidentally break that license agreement? And whose fault is that? Apple or the editor?

Sorry to hijack!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 29, 2016 at 5:19:51 pm

FCPX copies the Motion Template of the fxplug, not the underlying structure including the licensing. If the fxplug isn't installed on the destination machine, you won't see the results and it won't show up until you install it. Then you have to license it for the plugin to work, very similar to Ae filters.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 29, 2016 at 5:24:24 pm

Cool. Just be sure that you double check it worked when you do it. I absolutely couldn't get it to work on that project today until I created a new consolidation.

Interesting thing I also noticed. If your project is putting all the motion content in the library, and then you consolidate, this will not come along. It will revert to the templates folder. For example what I'm doing is highlighting the project in the library and choosing to create a new library from the project. In the new library you'll have to reconsolidate the motion content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]