FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Grading in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liz Goldman
Color Grading in FCPX
on Nov 25, 2016 at 6:53:18 pm

Hi Everyone!

I have a question about color grading and wanted to reach out here to see if anyone could help. I shoot with a canon 5D Mark III and shoot in visiontech picture style. I use colorfinale for color grading in fcpx and add in sharpness and contrast in post. I recently ran across pen weddings and absolutely love the look they have and it is what I have been ultimately been trying to achieve. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly makes her footage have the smooth "matte" (might not be the correct term) feel to it while still having the sharpness and contrast look right. I can achieve the coloring but with my contrast and sharpness my footage does not have the look like the picture attached. Any help would be awesome, new to the color grading world and trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can.

Here's the video link: https://vimeo.com/191656408

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Color Grading in FCPX
on Nov 26, 2016 at 3:43:33 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Nov 26, 2016 at 8:55:06 pm

In camera, the sharpness and contrast is all the way down and only slight unsharp is added in post.
for the grading, it looks like they warmed the white balance towards magenta.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
Re: Color Grading in FCPX
on Nov 26, 2016 at 8:35:28 pm

The video looks to me like many shots were made on prime lenses shooting f1.4 - 1.8. Its one of the only ways you get relatively wide shots, yet with a sharp foreground and soft focus background. Going by how much depth of field there is on some of the faces ( not much) the shooting style was pretty close to wide open. With a moving subject or camera one is riding the razor edge of focus with the risk of being out of focus on a key face or expression being pretty high.
So think Canon 24mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 50mm 1.2, not completely wide open but definitely more open than 2.0
The 135 soft focus lens while an idea wouldn't be of any use with most of the compositions in the sample video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]