FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you cut the master by referring to a timecode list without the timecode being burned into the picture?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilde
How do you cut the master by referring to a timecode list without the timecode being burned into the picture?
on Nov 23, 2016 at 5:15:25 am

I gave my friend a copy of the raw footage of her event with timecode burned in so she could pick the parts she wants me to string together into a simple edit. I added the timecode window in Compressor.

Now I'm sitting here realizing that once I chop out the first segment the remaining material in the timeline will slide forward, causing her timecode notes to be off. It occurs to me that before editing I could add a continuous title consisting of timecode, which I would somehow cut along with the actual video, but surely there's a better way.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: How do you cut the master by referring to a timecode list without the timecode being burned into the picture?
on Nov 23, 2016 at 5:31:02 am

Just reimport and then overcut her burned in version edits with the matching raw footage.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: How do you cut the master by referring to a timecode list without the timecode being burned into the picture?
on Nov 23, 2016 at 6:03:39 am

I usually do this by putting the timeline and the timecode generator in a compound clip. The timecode overlay will stay in place as I cut the compound clip. Once done I just go into he compound clip and delete or disable the timecode.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 23, 2016 at 1:22:07 pm

You can also work in reverse order, doing the last notes first and so on.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Nov 23, 2016 at 2:03:24 pm

You can work like Oliver suggested or replace the uneeded parts by a gap.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Nov 23, 2016 at 10:25:02 pm

Apologies Oliver - I hadn't seen your reply!

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 24, 2016 at 4:10:51 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Nov 24, 2016 at 4:11:15 pm

Not a problem. It's quite alright.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Nov 23, 2016 at 10:24:05 pm

Start from the end and cut backwards.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Nov 23, 2016 at 10:40:40 pm

With my compound clip method, you can turn the timecode overlay on/off to check your cuts (useful when the client says you cut in the wrong place) and you can cut from the start or the end of the clip - although I almost always start from the end and work backwards.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]