FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the best way to approximate an audio mixer in FCP X 10.3?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Moreau
What's the best way to approximate an audio mixer in FCP X 10.3?
on Nov 20, 2016 at 10:34:59 pm

Coming from FCP 7 and then Premiere Pro CC, I'm used to being able to make global volume and effects on a particular audio track using an audio mixer window. This way I don't have to select clips and make duplicate effects and volume and pan adjustments for each clip. I've been studying a bit, and I think I can do some things to approximate this but I wanted to get an update since maybe Audio Lanes / Roles can help with this.

Thanks for any advice on this.

-Keith

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: What's the best way to approximate an audio mixer in FCP X 10.3?
on Nov 21, 2016 at 12:20:50 am

To globally apply a volume change or a filter, you have to first combine all the desired audio into a compound clip.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 21, 2016 at 2:52:36 am

In terms of live recording of keyframes there's not a direct equivalent. However audio lanes can be used to powerful effect in terms of submixes you can apply effects to and set keyframe volume changes.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Keith Moreau
on Nov 21, 2016 at 3:53:26 am

As long as there is something kind of analogous to the Audio mixer I don't need real time keyframe recording. I assume as long as some combination of compound clips / roles / audio lanes can globally affect multiple clips that were recorded with the same recorder that's pretty much what I would need. I'd love to see a video tutorial of something like this in action...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 22, 2016 at 4:29:49 am

... and this to just posted today. Sam Mestman explains subroles to roles through compound clips. Key is that it's not an either/or choice between subroles and roles.

Return to posts index

Keith Moreau
on Nov 22, 2016 at 8:34:48 pm

Watched the video above, thanks!

Since I'm a novice in FCP X still, the idea of compound clips, roles and subroles is slightly foggy, and they way you can duplicate a compound clip to create another compound clip to apply effects to a role rather than a subrole is a bit confusing...

Will both compound clips (one for the 'echo' subrole, the the other for 'dialog' in the Macbreak Studio video) work together in a final output render?

Things like this are a bit foggy to me but I'm sure will be clearer as I get more into FCP X with real world project.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 22, 2016 at 8:42:17 pm

It can get a bit murkier working that way- because the two compound clips are independent. I.e. if you use one for echo and one for dialogue then make edits within one, the other will remain unchanged. So you have to be a bit more careful on how you plan to use them...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]