FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing the 'focus' of tools on timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rikki Blow
Changing the 'focus' of tools on timeline
on Nov 20, 2016 at 5:37:23 pm

A quick simple question related to 10.2.3 and hopefully speeding up editing.

If I want to blade a clip using Shift+B, is there any way with key commands to choose the cut to be on the main timeline clip or on one of the connected clips?

Obv, using the mouse or trackpad, I can select the clip I want to affect, or two or more clips, but can I choose with the keyboard at all?

Perhaps related, can anyone clarify the purpose of the little ball that appears on the position cursor? I thought it showed the 'focus' for any tools and/or the info plane, but it always seems to be on the upper clip of any connected clips, and I don't know how to change that to a lower one, and/or what the purpose is?

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
Re: Changing the 'focus' of tools on timeline
on Nov 21, 2016 at 10:42:38 am

Playhead (moving or not) over the clip you want, hit C, which selects the clip on the Primary. Then Command-up/down to select connected up and down from Primary. Very fast.

re: the "ball", yup, you've got the purpose correct. It's a visual indicator to let you know what the Info palette is managing. The selection approach above is the only "override".

Enjoy!

Return to posts index

Rikki Blow
on Nov 21, 2016 at 10:47:46 am

brilliant.

i knew there had to be a way.

i never knew about 'C'

this will make a big difference to my speed and my RSI!

ta.

Return to posts index

Rikki Blow
on Nov 21, 2016 at 11:46:30 am

[Bob Woodhead] " Then Command-up/down to select connected up and down from Primary. Very fast."

having said my thanks, i still can't get this bit to work.

searched for Command-Up in the command editor, and it only came up with Alt-Command-Up (which i already knew is 'lift from storyline).

also tried searching the Command Editor using words like 'Select' and 'Switch' to see if I could find the command I needed, but can't see anything relevant.

perhaps you could go into the Command editor, do the 'Command-Up' thing on your set up, and let me know how the function is described so i can search for it and assign it?

really bemused, this should be a simple key command to achieve, and it's defying me.

thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
on Nov 21, 2016 at 4:49:54 pm

I think the CMD-Up arrow command is new to FCPX 10.3 and it won't work in 10.2.3.

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Nov 21, 2016 at 4:57:39 pm

The cmd up and down arrow is a 10.3 addition and great for keyboard navigation. Mac break studio has a segment about just this feature.

Return to posts index

Rikki Blow
on Nov 21, 2016 at 5:38:25 pm

i'm mid big projects right now - going on the next month - AND i'm still on yosemite so can't move to FCPX 3 directly.

i'm so tempted to upgrade the OS and move to 10.3 cos it seems to have so many good new things, but i think i have to be sensible and wait till current work crop is over rather than risk any problems with both OS and FCPX upgrades in mid project

?

i'll look forward to command-up for xmas then!

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Nov 22, 2016 at 2:13:35 am

oops, sorry Rikki... yeah, I totally spaced that you said 10.2.3.

El Cap OS is fine for 10.3. And I have to agree it's the sensible thing to do to wait on X update until out of mid-project. But don't wait after that! 10.3's performance improvements are quite good.

Return to posts index

Rikki Blow
on Nov 22, 2016 at 12:44:06 pm

no worries Bob.

and yes, I'd prefer to move to El Cap rather than Sierra yet, but I can't see any Apple-authorised download to do that - looks like I'll have to search for a less orthodox route to El Cap, as Apple want me to jump from Yosemite to Sierra as far as I can tell.

(unless anyone knows better?)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]