FORUMS: list search recent posts

So where are the shape mask options this time or aren't there any for a blur?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
So where are the shape mask options this time or aren't there any for a blur?
on Nov 16, 2016 at 12:43:21 pm

Hey it's that idiot again aka me. Sorry for bothering you and thanks for keeping up with me but where are the shape mask options like feathering?

I have found this nice article on the Apple website where I see plenty of options like feathering
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH20846?viewlocale=en_US&locale=de_DE

I don't find those options. I already had my mouse over it hoping it would say "show" but there is nothing. I've applied a Gaussian blur to a clip and wanted to change the feathering of the shape mask.
I know that the outside ring of the mask determines the feathering so maybe they ditched those options???

What I don't like: A shape mask can only be round or a square. Premiere used to be like that in 2014 and I was glad once they added a point mask feature to ANYTHING. Is that somehow possible in FCPX? I would even pay for a plug in that gives me this power under a shape mask (maybe the convert to points option I see on the Apple page does that?). So far I duplicate the clip, add it as connected clip, apply the effect and add a point mask (or whatever it's called. Can't find it for some reason right now) on it and mask it that way.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: So where are the shape mask options this time or aren't there any for a blur?
on Nov 16, 2016 at 1:39:30 pm

You can use the onscreen controls to modify the feather, just drag that outside ring to control it. The document you linked to is describing the stand alone Shape Mask effect, not the shape mask subfilter.

If you need a custom shape, use the "Draw Mask" filter to add a point mask to the clip. Shape Mask is also a filter, and will give you those controls you are looking for. The shape mask that is available on every filter doesn't have the same controls, but they are similar.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: So where are the shape mask options this time or aren't there any for a blur?
on Nov 16, 2016 at 2:50:38 pm

Also if you want much greater masking controls- the SliceX/TrackX plugins do the trick.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Duncan Craig
on Nov 17, 2016 at 7:03:30 pm

In FCPX you can also use multiple masks to either add or subtract from each other, and that can help create more complex shapes.

FS100, EX1, GoPro, 2x Hacks, FCPX etc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]