FORUMS: list search recent posts

Worried about 10.3 update affecting muticams

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Bucco
Worried about 10.3 update affecting muticams
on Nov 15, 2016 at 7:59:41 am

Hello All,
I would love to update to 10.3 but I have a number of other libraries with ongoing projects that contain multicam clips and I read about a warning from apple about how the new roles behavior may scramble the audio in multicams. See link below.

Does anyone else worry about this issue? Haven't seen a lot about it anywhere. There must be tons of people with multicam projects that are dealing with this. The only option I can see is to partition my drive and have two versions of FCPX available but I don't have the room to do that.

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

FROM APPLE:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207124

About audio roles in compound, multicam, and sync clips

In earlier versions of Final Cut Pro X, compound, multicam, and sync clips had channel-based audio components. For example, a clip recorded in the field might have four audio channels. When placed inside of a compound, multicam, or sync clip, these audio channels appeared as components of the clip.

When you update your libraries to Final Cut Pro X 10.3 the update process converts these clips to a new role-based clip type. In the role-based format, the audio components of compound, multicam, and sync clips are defined by the subroles the audio components are assigned to. If multiple audio clips contained within a compound, multicam, or sync clip share the same role, Final Cut Pro mixes all the audio clips into a single component, which then operates much like a traditional audio bus. For example, if all of the audio clips contained inside a compound, multicam, or sync clip were tagged with the “Dialogue” role, after updating the library that clip will have a single component called “Dialogue,” and the audio from those clips are mixed together through that component.

Because of this, audio edits made to these clips in earlier version of Final Cut Pro might be lost or changed, which can change the sound of your mix. Because compound, multicam, and sync clips are reference clips, changes to any single instance will affect all the uses of the clip in other projects within the same library.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Worried about 10.3 update affecting muticams
on Nov 15, 2016 at 10:44:00 am

I updated a couple of multicam projects that were complete and didn't have an issue. A couple friends have done the same and so far, so good. Having said that, I would never advise updating in the middle of a project. Apple are warning you that it can screw up your project and you should only do the update if you can afford for that to happen.

If you do decide to upgrade, make sure you have a backup of the projects and keep a copy of the pre-upgrade FCPX. At least if it all goes horribly wrong, you can restore things to the way they were and either wait until your projects are finished to upgrade or create a dual boot system until the legacy projects are done and dusted.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Oscar Bucco
Re: Worried about 10.3 update affecting muticams
on Nov 15, 2016 at 10:45:12 am

Glad to hear you had luck. I'll move ahead cautiously as you suggest. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]