FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render any good these days?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Donegan
Render any good these days?
on Nov 15, 2016 at 3:20:29 am

Okay, I am confused again.

I edit a Project and then Share to DVD.....

timeline still needs rendering.....

DVD outputs anyway.

What am I missing?

FCP X 10.2.3 - user since FCP 1.25
iMac mid 2011, MBA mid 2012
iPhone 4
HVX-200, Shure wireless mic
Miller Solo tripod
Advanta-Jib

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Render any good these days?
on Nov 15, 2016 at 3:59:41 am

You're not rendering but transcoding?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 15, 2016 at 4:04:40 am

Yep- Rendering is generally at ProRes output. There's no such thing as a rendered DVD as it could exist in a live timeline.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
on Nov 15, 2016 at 10:24:16 am

Oh, so If I attempt to a ProRes file to Compressor, it will wait until Render is complete?

iPhone 4
Miller Solo tripod
Advanta-Jib

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Nov 15, 2016 at 11:08:54 am

If you mean will compressor wait for the background rendering to compete, then no, Compressor is completely independent and will start rendering whenever you tell it to. Compressor will, I believe, try to use any parts of the project that had been pre-rendered already though.

Having said that, the only time the background rendered files are any good to you is if you are outputting exactly the same codec and format they are in.

If your project is background rendering ProRes 422 and you output anything other than ProRes 422, everything needs to re-rendered. If any parts of your project don't match the background rendered codec, those parts will have to be rendered.

I haven't paid that much attention but if you export from within FCPX I'm fairly sure background rendering will pause or at least become a lower priority in favour of the export rendering.

If you send to Compressor, then both FCPX and Compressor will attempt to render at the same time as they will be operating independently of each other.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 15, 2016 at 2:57:59 pm

Main reason to render is to check full res and frame rate on complex compositions. Much less useful for speeding up final exports.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 15, 2016 at 5:13:06 pm

[Patrick Donegan] "Oh, so If I attempt to a ProRes file to Compressor, it will wait until Render is complete?
"

There's a difference between render and transcode, and in FCPX the two can be mutually exclusive.

Rendering will render the files in the project. From there, you can export or transcode to other formats using the Share menu. A rendered timeline can reduce export/transcode times depending on the material and what needs to be rendered. Sometimes it's worth it to render first, sometimes it's not. ti really depends on what you need to do, and how often.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 16, 2016 at 1:51:13 am

Personally I rarely see the point as as soon as you make a change that alters the clip renders go away.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 16, 2016 at 2:50:06 am

I rarely render in FCPX anymore either. Only speed effects and noise reduction, or if I need to render a composite stack, otherwise everything is near real time.

Rendering does cut down on export if you need exports to be faster. It really does depend on what you need to do, and where in the chain you need to move faster.

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
on Nov 28, 2016 at 12:09:15 am

Silly question:

How do I turn off the Rendering if I am not really using it?

Do I make my timeline sequence / project rendering away from ProRES 422(LT) that I have by default?

iPhone 4
Miller Solo tripod
Advanta-Jib

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 28, 2016 at 3:38:34 am

Turn off background rendering in Preferences > Editing > Background Rendering

With your project selected, hit command-j and click "modify settings" button in inspector. There you can set the timeline render format.

Or you can simply flip the output to ProRes in the export window.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]