FORUMS: list search recent posts

relinking media on back up drive in 10.3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
relinking media on back up drive in 10.3
on Nov 13, 2016 at 4:20:12 pm

In previous versions, I could reimport my entire card copy folder and missing media would repopulate in FC very quickly.
In 10.3 I can relink only by navigating to the media folder (I do not keep mine in the library).
And this does not work wholesale. I need to relink each reel (which was imported with the name and date of my custom name for each media card (P2s) .
Another thing I've noticed in 10.3 is FC will spend time transcoding my P2 card files. But P2 is read natively in FC and all it does is rewrap the files so I'm not sure what its doing. The imports used to be faster.

The reason I need to relink in most cases is because I back up all my project folders to a second drive. Because FC links are set on the my media drive the back up library can't find the links when I am using my back up drive. Is there any way to back up to another drive without FC loosing all media links? The organization from media drive to back up drive is a clone.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: relinking media on back up drive in 10.3
on Nov 13, 2016 at 5:51:39 pm

I'd be curious to hear as well. In my experience, relinking in X3 is VERY SLOW and needs a lot of direct interaction.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 13, 2016 at 6:07:39 pm

Also is FC now changing the codec of P2 footage? Or is it just doing more analysis?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 13, 2016 at 9:51:29 pm

Probably not the solution to your question because I don't do a workflow like that...

BUT

Why are you using finder level "folders"?

I always thought X works best working with mounted virtual volumes.

Don't folders just add a useless layer of abstraction between the files that are needed and the mounted Volume that X expects to see?

Just curious.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 14, 2016 at 12:24:17 am

Folders provide a level of organization that's important for other apps. For example, graphics, audio, music, camera media, etc.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 14, 2016 at 12:34:22 am

BTW - take a look at the Post Haste app. This is the sort of folder organization many companies use. Create a folder preset so it's consistent across all productions.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 14, 2016 at 5:09:58 am

Hi Bill. I use finder folder organization because I feel it provides a layer of protection and end user control of their media. I'm not saying your way doesn't work. But I would rather make my own card copy than use Apple's. Apple's may change. But I don't think Panasonic card structure will for a very long time. And libraries can get corrupted and you would loose everything in them. If my library gets corrupted I make a new one and have my media, render, backups, and p2 card copies in different folders. The media is copied into the library. and the entire media drive is cloned.
I've never had FC get confused by my organizing folders in the finder and even fixing screw ups like having put the wrong media in the wrong project. I move it from one finder project folder to the correct one and import it into the library of the correct one. That said FCP version 3 is making the relinking of external folders kinda not worth my logic if by having all in the library there is no need to relink. Before this version I simply reimported the entire card copy folder and it would very quickly repopulate anything that had gone missing.

I have been dealing with some iMacs that crash. And things like sparse bundles and libraries which I do like the ergonomics of can become corrupted due to these intermittent crashes.
At the school lab I teach I do use sparse bundles cause they help protect and organize each production teams and directors work. I leave only one open at a time. Important ones I back up otherwise they are not the end of the world if some class exercises get lost. Though this has only happened a few times in as many years. Due to corrupted sparse bundles or libraries or media cards. very rare though.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 14, 2016 at 4:20:20 pm

[Craig Alan] "In previous versions, I could reimport my entire card copy folder and missing media would repopulate in FC very quickly.
In 10.3 I can relink only by navigating to the media folder (I do not keep mine in the library)."

Can you please try and provide screen grabs or screen recording of this?

P2 always rewraps, which means FCPX stores another copy of the media wrapped it QT format to wherever you have chosen as the destination. If you have recently upgraded to 10.3, it's quite possible the preferences were changed, and you may need to double check them to ensure the process is setup as you need.

[Craig Alan] "Another thing I've noticed in 10.3 is FC will spend time transcoding my P2 card files. But P2 is read natively in FC and all it does is rewrap the files so I'm not sure what its doing. The imports used to be faster."

P2 always rewraps to .mov. Are you sure you don't have the preference on to make optimized media? This would transcode your DVCPro HD (or AVC-Intra) to ProRes in to an "Final Cut Optimized Media" folder in your media destination folder.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 20, 2017 at 2:59:55 am

to sure why I didn't see this before. That was not the behavior before 10.3. If a codec was native to FCP X ir would only rewrap it not transcode it even if you selected optimized. Its logic was its already optimized. Though its hard to tell since the Inspector would always mention the codec that was imported even in cases when it was transcoded. I always found that weird. Regardless, Its taking longer where as most other things are faster in 10.3.x.

Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic HPX250P, FCP X 10.3, teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]