FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the best way to add a clip from the primary storyline to a pre-existing secondary storyline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
What's the best way to add a clip from the primary storyline to a pre-existing secondary storyline?
on Nov 12, 2016 at 9:46:40 pm

I'm doing some editing. Sometimes, I wanna move a clip from the primary to a secondary storyline I already have. What I do know is lift the clip up, then drag it into the storyline, then reposition it where I want. It's a bit unwieldy and I figure there must be a better way. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: What's the best way to add a clip from the primary storyline to a pre-existing secondary storyline?
on Nov 13, 2016 at 2:56:59 am

That's about the best way.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Michiel de Leeuw van Weenen
Re: What's the best way to add a clip from the primary storyline to a pre-existing secondary storyline?
on Nov 13, 2016 at 10:30:45 am

You can use shortcuts. Cut from main storyline with command X and paste it back in secondary storyline with alt-Q. To paste it into a Group you have to select The group.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Nov 13, 2016 at 7:13:54 pm

Isn't it option or alt V to paste a connected clip?

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Michiel de Leeuw van Weenen
on Nov 13, 2016 at 7:46:40 pm

Yes. You're right about alt-q is wrong. (I replied without FCPX in front of me).

You can do 2 things:
1) Command-X to get the clip out of the primairy storyline. Use Alt-V to paste is where you want.
2) But if you want to insert it into a secondary storyline, you have to position the playhead where you want it (with arrow keys up and down). Then selecte the secondary group (not the clips) and press W. Just the regular insert command.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 14, 2016 at 5:52:41 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Nov 14, 2016 at 7:28:25 pm

[Michiel de Leeuw van Weenen] "2) But if you want to insert it into a secondary storyline, you have to position the playhead where you want it (with arrow keys up and down). Then selecte the secondary group (not the clips) and press W. Just the regular insert command.
"

I wish it worked this way, but it doesn't.

The easiest way to get a clip in to a secondary is:

1) Match frame from the primary (shift-f), select the shelf of the secondary, and insert (w), overwrite (d), add to end (e), whatever, but these commands have to be done from the Browser. Then copy/paste any effects from clip on primary to dupe in secondary, then delete the clip in the primary.

or

2) Grab the clip out of the primary, drag it holding the 'g' key and add it to the secondary, then adjusting timing after it's in the secondary with p or a key selected. The G key is called "Toggle Storyline mode". It's a weirdly named command but it does work to drag and drop a clip in to a secondary.

Looks like this (be sure to press and hold g before dragging, then release g after you've dropped the clip in the secondary):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]