FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Canon XF with FCP-X 10.3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Shea
Importing Canon XF with FCP-X 10.3
on Nov 10, 2016 at 5:26:45 pm

Hi

I'm importing canon XF media shot with my Canon XF305. Final Cut 10.3 is breaking up longer shots into separate files during import. For instance, what should be a single .mov (File # AA1877) is now AA1877, AA187701, AA187702, AA187703, etc. As a test, I imported into FCP7 and it imported as one file, AA1877, as it should. Final Cut 10.3 is having the same problem on my laptop. Does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks very much!

Lawnie

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Importing Canon XF with FCP-X 10.3
on Nov 10, 2016 at 6:41:18 pm

It sounds like these are spanned clips and FCPX3 is making a separate QT movie of each segment of the span. Is the first clip full length or only the first part of the clip? If shorter, when you cut from the first section to the next, is the edit seamless?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Lawrence Shea
on Nov 10, 2016 at 7:42:18 pm

Hi Oliver

The first clip is in it's entirety. It's then followed by three 5:16 length clips and one 47 sec clip. When those are put back to back, they're seamless. I also noticed all of the shorter clips are doubled at import (1801 followed by 180101 for instance). In the inspector, the full clip is labeled as Canon XF 50Mbps... The duplicate series of clips are Linear PCM, XDCAM HD422.... Weird/Frustrating

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Nov 10, 2016 at 8:57:59 pm

Seeing the "duplicates" as well on C300 MKII imports. Haven't noticed the 5:15 splits, but I've been shooting short clips since 10.3 install. It appears that the import function is seeing both the MXF and the XML on the camera card & importing both. Annoying. Also having a problem with these files that in some (all?) cases 10.3 is leaving files on the card instead of copying to Library (have not tried with an external media folder). But after import, the while line appears on the import browser for the card file, indicating the file's been imported. This is beyond annoying - potentially disastrous.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Shea
on Nov 11, 2016 at 12:47:50 pm

Are we the only ones with this issue? Wondering if XDCAM software is mucking things up?

Return to posts index

Lawrence Shea
on Nov 12, 2016 at 12:18:18 pm

Got it -

http://support-th.canon-asia.com/contents/TH/EN/0200460302.html

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Nov 12, 2016 at 1:05:20 pm

I work with C300 Mk2 footage all the time and don't have any of the problems reported. My Plug in is up to date , I don't see duplicates on import. If I select all the clips in a card and import I will get a message saying some files were not imported and these files are the xml, & .cif files that are a part of the XAVC file structure but do not affect the video portion of the clip. I would like to see FCPX import the xml file- I think in general we might be missing some benefits in editorial from not having the XML file come in with the clip.

Return to posts index

Cheryl Bottomley
on Nov 16, 2016 at 9:29:40 pm

It is annoying, we have the same issue since updating to 10.3. If you don't want to import the MXF files try sorting by file type in the Media Import window, makes it easier to select just the files you want by date.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Shea
on Nov 16, 2016 at 9:48:32 pm

Hi Cheryl

This worked for me - - I updated the Canon XF plugin. Now, all is back to normal.
http://support-th.canon-asia.com/contents/TH/EN/0200460302.html

Return to posts index

Cheryl Bottomley
on Nov 16, 2016 at 10:34:13 pm

Perfect, thank you!

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 14, 2017 at 4:47:34 pm

I am preparing to import footage from a C300 MK II.

I wondered just in general do you all still use the Canon XF plugin when FCP X supports the format directly? I am trying to better understand do you need the plugin anyway. Searching the inter webs I see that perhaps the plugin was need a little while ago; particularly with FCP X 10.2. I hadn't checked when FCP X began supporting XF-AVC. Does the plugin provide any benefit? With FCPX 10.3 is it needed.

Aside form being just for this camera and format, in general do you install the plugin when FCP X already supports the format for any other camera and codec?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]