FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.3 Reassign Role Inside Synchronized Clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Abujamra
FCPX 10.3 Reassign Role Inside Synchronized Clip
on Nov 9, 2016 at 3:26:05 pm

Hello,

I am working on a complex documentary project, and updated to 10.3.
I have all the interviews synced inside FCPX (synchronized clips). I've decided to assign audio role names (subroles, in fact) to each person interviewed on the film, so I could know take advantage of the hole "audio role / lane" improvements in 10.3..
But I can't assign audio / reassign / create roles or subrole to clips that are already synchronized. The right button menu becomes dimmed.
I tried a lot of things:
1. Assign role inside the browser;
2. In the Inspector Tab
3. In the timeline.
4. Tried to detach audio, and then find it in browser, to assign the role, but it just goes to the hole Video/Audio Synchronized Clip
5. Tried to detach, copy the audio and paste into a different timeline, didn't work
6. Tried to go to the original audio that what was captured from a lavalier mic. I could in fact assign the audio role there, but it didn't change de Synchronized Clip.

Is it possible to do? Or I would have to Sync everything again, and assign the audio roles before syncing (which is virtually impossible for me know).

I read the apple white paper about it: http://images.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Audio_Roles.pdf
But it says that " You can’t make role assignment changes to the container clip itself. To change role assignments, you must modify the clips inside the container clip."
But I just can't modify the clip inside the container clips... Same things with Compound an Multicam.

Anyone knows how to do that? Thank you all in advance,

Marco

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX 10.3 Reassign Role Inside Synchronized Clip
on Nov 9, 2016 at 4:13:44 pm

Map a keyboard shortcut to "Open Clip" (mine is mapped to shift-zero) then select the clip, choose the keyboard command (or use the menu Clip > Open Clip) and once the clip opens. change the audio Roles in there. Then back out to your timeline using the arrows not eh top of the Project window (or use command-left bracket) and you will see the Roles have been updated in your main Project.

See here:

Return to posts index

Marco Abujamra
on Nov 9, 2016 at 4:20:18 pm

Genius!

You are a life saver. Thank you very much Jeremy Garchow

Return to posts index

Julian Doan
on Nov 27, 2016 at 10:00:30 am

This works if changing the roles globally fits the workflow, but what if I want to leave the roles INSIDE the container the same, but change the role of the container? If I want to change the Roles of the Audio Components or their container on that timeline? Not being facetious, actually desperately searching if someone can supply a solution!

An example of when this is needed, which is giving me some issues right now: I am cutting a scripted show that shot 2 cameras, so all the takes are Multicams: 2 video angles, 4 lavs and a boom. All 5 audio components are labeled according to character (Lav-Jesse, Lav-Bruce, etc). I want to leave this as is.

However, I am very often cutting in Audio Only clips to represent off-screen dialogue, or to cheat line readings. In 10.3, much of my clips are all the same color, since they've now decided that the Audio Role color of a Video/Audio clip will take precendent, so they are the same color as all my Audio Only clips. This is almost just as annoying as the 2 color limit in 10.2.3 (blue for video, green for audio). It's very confusing and difficult to visually see what dialog pieces are connected to video, and what exists on its own.

Now, to circumvent this, my next thought was "well I guess I'll just have to create a role for "OS Dialog" and tag all those clips so I can organize them. Maybe I want to create a role for "Temp Sound" if I plan to ADR the lines later. But I don't want to drill into the Multicam and re-tag the source, because I still would prefer the component labeled as "Lav-Jesse" for any other instance of me editing that source into the Timeline. I JUST want to change the Role of THAT particular clip as it appears in my Timeline.

Since there is no way for us to do this, the system works under the assumption that whatever roles we set for a source file, it will ALWAYS be used as such. This is simultaneously flexible, yet very restricting.

-Julian

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 27, 2016 at 6:45:51 pm

If you assign each component it's own Role (not subrole) and expand the components/lanes they will have their own color and be placed in their own lane.

Return to posts index

Julian Doan
on Nov 30, 2016 at 10:22:39 pm

I understand what you are saying, but I think you misunderstand the issue I am looking to fix. That thinking is under the assumption I will ALWAYS want the same roles for that particular multiclip and its components.

However, let's say for example I have a multiclip from Scene 1A, Take 1. It's audio components are Lav-1, and Boom. The roles for this multiclip are:

Video
Dialogue-Lav-1
Dialogue-Boom

Now I can cut the scene with this as normal, but say theres a line of dialogue I want AUDIO ONLY, so I cut that in as an audio connected clip, and I want to separate that visually as, say, "OS Dialog". There is no way for me, as far as I can tell, to set the role for JUST that instance of the clip in the timeline. I cannot change the roles on just that piece. I must change it for the ENTIRE multiclip, which obviously I don't want to do.

If my explanation is clear, It's an all or nothing game... which is restricting. Not every instance of that multiclip calls for the same role.

10.2.3 was able somewhat to circumvent this. See the included screenshots. Notice the other clips in the timeline, connected video to the left, and connected audio to the right, also named 101-2B-T002-MC.

-Does NOT work: setting the role for the container clip to "OS Dialog", which ripples that role change to all other instances of the clip.
-DOES work: opening the components and set them to an "OS Dialog" role, which managed to keep for just that instance in the timeline.

And FCPX 10.3.1:

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 1, 2016 at 5:23:56 pm

First off, I understand what you're saying. Not being able to break apart multicam clips has been a complaint of FCPX since the advent of multicam clips. It would be really nice in this case to Detach Audio or Break Apart clip times to divorce them from the multicam clip, but alas, it is still not possible. Please continue to request the feature from Apple.

[Julian Doan] "Now I can cut the scene with this as normal, but say theres a line of dialogue I want AUDIO ONLY, so I cut that in as an audio connected clip, and I want to separate that visually as, say, "OS Dialog". There is no way for me, as far as I can tell, to set the role for JUST that instance of the clip in the timeline. I cannot change the roles on just that piece. I must change it for the ENTIRE multiclip, which obviously I don't want to do.
"

If it really needs to be separate, then I would cut in the original, unmulticlipped audio, or dupe the multiclip in the Browser and make a new set of Roles for it. You can now, at least, copy and paste timecode which makes match framing back to original source of multiclips less of a cluster bomb, but still a little bit of a cluster bomb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]