FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issue Re: Relinking Files On New External Drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Davis
Issue Re: Relinking Files On New External Drive
on Nov 6, 2016 at 3:52:44 pm

Hi, hoping for some help on a re-linking issue I've not encountered before.

I was working in FCPX using two 2TB external drives. One filled up. I bought a 4TB drive, copied the full 2TB drive onto the new 4TB drive.  Opened the FCPX project, got the expected red 'missing media' message.  Relinked all the files.  FCPX showed the relinking was successful, however the red 'missing media' messages remain through the entire time line and also in all event folders.  I have also gone through the event folders individually and relinked, and get the same result, it shows the relinking is successful, but no change occurs in the red 'missing media' messages on my time line or in my events. 

When I disconnect the 4TB drive, and go back to the original 2TB drive, all the files show up again like normal.  I can't figure out why -although FCPX does recognize the files and says it has relinked them on the new 4TB drive- the files nonetheless do not appear as connected in the time line or event folders.  

Any known way to remedy this, or what I might be missing / unaware of?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Issue Re: Relinking Files On New External Drive
on Nov 6, 2016 at 4:18:51 pm

Are you maintaining copying ingested footage into the Library or leaving in place?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Stuart Davis
on Nov 6, 2016 at 4:22:32 pm

Hi Noah, to be honest I'm not aware of what the difference between those two things are. When I copied the footage from the 2TB to the 4TB I just dragged the entire content of the drive onto the new larger drive. Is there another way to handle the footage after that which I'm missing?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 6, 2016 at 5:07:18 pm

Well if you store footage externally it creates an alias inside your library which breaks if you then move everything manually in the Finder. That's why FCPX has Library management and consolidation tools built in to enable you to move thungs arohnd without disrupting the database.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Stuart Davis
on Nov 6, 2016 at 5:11:13 pm

Ahhh. I see. So I have broken the alias by moving the files using Finder instead of the internal FCPX management. How should I rectify this? Do I need to delete the moved files on the new drive, and go back and re-copy them using the internal FCPX system? And if yes, how do I use the internal FCPX system to move / copy files from one external drive to another? Have never done that before.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 6, 2016 at 5:28:12 pm

Do the seemingly offline files play after you tell mm them, even if the thumbnail says offline? If so, trash your cache and rebuild the thumbnails.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]