FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit Compound Clip within Main Timeline / playback point within Compound Clip Editor?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed McCarthy
Edit Compound Clip within Main Timeline / playback point within Compound Clip Editor?
on Nov 2, 2016 at 5:32:04 pm
Last Edited By Ed McCarthy on Nov 2, 2016 at 5:35:32 pm

Is there a way to edit inside a compound clip while remaining in the main timeline? If not, how can I address changes to compound clips at specific places on the main timeline? EDIT: without having to break apart clip items.

For instance, I'm playing back, and there's a timing issue that needs to be fixed within a compound clip at the playhead. I stop playback at that point, open up the compound clip, and the playhead does not match up to where it was in the main timeline. In turn, I don't know exactly where that frame is within the compound clip.

In my head I used to have a solution for this, but it's been a while since this has been needed for my work, and I can't recall how to do it.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Edit Compound Clip within Main Timeline / playback point within Compound Clip Editor?
on Nov 2, 2016 at 8:27:49 pm

Which version of FCPX? Editing a compound clip takes me to the same frame within the compound when I do it. As of 10.3 it does it for Multicam Clips as well.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Ed McCarthy
Re: Edit Compound Clip within Main Timeline / playback point within Compound Clip Editor?
on Nov 2, 2016 at 9:19:33 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm using whatever the last version of 10.2 (prior to 10.3) is, and I don't seem to have that functionality. When I click and open a compound click, the playhead is frequently somewhere in the middle of the compound clip, but not on the same frame as the main timeline. And you had this functionality in 10.2?

I will update to 10.3 as soon as everything I have going in 10.2 is done.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 5, 2016 at 1:35:51 am

You cannot edit a compound clip and retain the context of the rest of the surrounding timeline. It is a nest. When you open a compound clip, you are opening it in isolation in the timeline window. Essentially you are "stepping into" the compound clip.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]