FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX doesn't add edit at playhead and skimmer position - change edit "units"??? Detailed Audio Editing- change "edit range"?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
FCPX doesn't add edit at playhead and skimmer position - change edit "units"??? Detailed Audio Editing- change "edit range"?
on Oct 31, 2016 at 10:20:38 am

So I have my skimmer and my playhead overlapping each other so they are exactly at the same position. I press CMD + B in order to add an edit/cut the clip YET the clip gets cut at different position (see picture below). What am I doing wrong?

Now I noticed this grey range / area around my playhead at the top. It's like an in/out or marked region. This is where FCPX set the cut. My believe: I am out of luck. This is the smallest I can get in FCPX when adding an edit which makes audio editing kinda hard. Now of course I don't want to believe this. I know I can change the "steps" in Premiere Pro to do super detailed audio editing. Can I do this in FCPX as well?

How do I change this range? How do I add an edit at the position where I want to add it?

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: FCPX doesn't add edit at playhead and skimmer position - change edit "units"??? Detailed Audio Editing- change "edit range"?
on Oct 31, 2016 at 12:52:41 pm

Your playhead is on an audio subframe. The gray area indicates the video frame where the cut shows.

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
Re: FCPX doesn't add edit at playhead and skimmer position - change edit "units"??? Detailed Audio Editing- change "edit range"?
on Oct 31, 2016 at 1:26:25 pm

Nice to know. So how do I add an edit where I want to it be now? Thank you very much.

Here is how you would do it in Premiere aka this is what I am looking for:

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Oct 31, 2016 at 1:32:01 pm

I've posted this video with a time code but creative cow sadly ignores time codes in youtube videos so jump to 5m30s.
If you don't want to watch it: You can toggle between sample based editing and frame based editing in Premiere which makes audio editing great. In FCPX I am just out of luck and can not perform the edits I want to do (it seems. I hope I am wrong).

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Oct 31, 2016 at 1:56:23 pm

You need to "Expand Audio/Video" on that clip then use your mouse to roll your audio back to create subframe audio edits. You can't do it with the keyboard or the Add Edit option. Those are reserved for full frame edits only.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 31, 2016 at 2:10:45 pm

You're trying to cut a video clip on a subframe level. Expand the audio or components and only cut the audio. But it'll have to be out of the primary. You can't blade expanded component audio on a subframe level in the primary. You can however trim the audio on a subframe level in the primary.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]