FORUMS: list search recent posts

dublicate primer - put primer ontop of primer?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
dublicate primer - put primer ontop of primer?
on Oct 30, 2016 at 1:04:19 pm

So I was given an edited movie/FCPX time line with a colour correction on it. The client isn't happy with the colour correction somebody else did so I am going to do a new CC from scratch. Here is my plan or what I would do in any other NLE:

Copy and paste the entire film/all the clips (audio can stay where it is) on tracks ABOVE the original version. So my colour corrected clips can always get turned off to see previous version underneath to see the change / difference. An amazingly simply task I fail at doing in FCPX maybe because of my own lack of knowledge.

I know I can ALT drag a clip and drag it above itself and there we go- we have a copy. Unfortunately this doesn't work all the time. The very first clip has a connected clip (lower third) connected it itself and goes to the next clip with a fade. If I select those 3 things and I try to alt drag them above nothing happens.

So really how do I just copy the existing clips and put them on top of each other? I know I could nest them all and put the "new nest" above the original primer which could be a nest now as well. The problem here is: I want to jump from clip to clip and apply a CC to each clip. Once nested it becomes one big clip and I do not want to jump into the nest because that way I can not see what's underneath it...

Seriously this is giving me more of a headache than it actually should.

Thanks a million for your patience and help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: dublicate primer - put primer ontop of primer?
on Oct 30, 2016 at 5:05:42 pm

Option-v is paste as connected.

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Oct 30, 2016 at 9:52:54 pm

I'll have a bunch of clips selected. How does it know to paste everything above already connected clips? Won't there be a conflict? Also any way to select the entire movie without the audio? Should I just do a normal paste of the film at the end and delete the connected audio and then select copy it again, go to the beginning and do the alternative paste? I'm still wondering if it will put everything neatly above it. I'm somewhat sceptical and not in front of a machine right now.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2016 at 2:53:57 am

[Michael Paul] "I'll have a bunch of clips selected. How does it know to paste everything above already connected clips? Won't there be a conflict? "

No it'll put everything on the top most layer at that point in time. The clips may or may not be horizontally adjacent to each other.

[Michael Paul] "Also any way to select the entire movie without the audio? "

No, but if you select a bunch of clips, you can turn off all the audio in the inspector at once.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]