FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.3 Bugs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
FCPX 10.3 Bugs
on Oct 29, 2016 at 3:13:21 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Oct 29, 2016 at 3:39:59 pm

This seems like a good place to start listing bugs as you run across them. So far I've hit these intermittent UI bugs:

1. Occasionally the playhead loses focus on which is the active pane in dual display set-ups. You'll be in the timeline and it quits updating video on the viewer as you skim. That's because focus has shifted to the browser. Click into the browser and back into the timeline to refresh. This is an old bug, BTW.

2. File names in the browser in List View disappear when you click on the name, leaving a blank field. Close and relaunch fixes this. Also cmd-0 is supposed to refresh it as well.

3. The VU meter panel occasionally quits displaying bars. Close the VU meters panel and reopen to reactivate.

4. The VU meter panel also doesn't retain its adjusted size if you have reduced the width. When you close and reopen FCPX, the VU meters are really wide. Updating the workspace has no affect on this

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

James Ewart
Re: FCPX 10.3 Bugs
on Oct 30, 2016 at 10:30:42 am

Backups not working here for updated Libraries and flaky for new Libraries created in 3.0

Return to posts index

Mike Warmels
on Oct 30, 2016 at 12:24:35 pm

I don't know if this is a bug or what:

I opened a 10.2.2 library with music in it with assigned role MUSIC. In the update Library I opened a sequence, opened the audio lanes, but there was no music in the music lane. The rol had been changed to a subrole Music-1, a subrole for music. But for some reason it did not show in de Music Audio Lane but was part of the Dialogue Audio Lane. And the only way to get it into the Music Audio Lane was to change the role in the sequence per clip.

Is this a bug? And is it possible to change the roles of ALL music clips in one go? Because I found it impossible to do in the Index... it helps me spot them quickly, using the subrole... but to change them all in one go so they would show up in the Music Audio Lane, I couldn't find a way to do that.

But apart from that, why doesn't a Music Subrole not show up in the Music Audio Lane?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 30, 2016 at 12:30:56 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Oct 30, 2016 at 12:32:33 pm

[Mike Warmels] "I opened a 10.2.2 library with music in it with assigned role MUSIC. In the update Library I opened a sequence, opened the audio lanes, but there was no music in the music lane. "

From what I've seen, changing roles in the Event does not update those clips that are already in a project (sequence). These will retain their previous role assignment. You have to manually update those as well.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 30, 2016 at 7:57:20 pm

Highlight them all in the timeline, open the inspector and change the role. I think now you can right click as well. Was there another way to apply roles? That's how I've always done it whether it be browser or timeline. I rarely apply roles anywhere but the timeline. Just for final output of discreet audio. I

Return to posts index

Mike Warmels
on Oct 31, 2016 at 10:13:17 am

Yeah, well highlighting is the issue, isn't it. Since they are among the many actual dialogue clip, I have to individually select the music tracks in the tetris jumble.

I do apply roles beforehand, because if done later, you might always forget one. I certainly would I think, most of my projects are rather complex. And I would;t want to cause problems with the audio mixers later on. It's the roles they depend on without having tracks. Otherwise sorting the audio in the audio studio becomes very laborious and expensive. (which is often does anyway with FCPX).

For me the point of roles is to get overview of the audio. And to save time I'd rather select all my music and assign the roles than to assign roles to each clip I add to the timeline. FCPX can be very time consuming as it is in checking an assigning audio settings beforehand. When I'm cutting, I want to be cutting... not adjusting settings. But that's just me.

So to me, I'd prefer roles to change in the timeline as well, although I know a lot of FCPX editors don't. But... I still don't get why I can't get the Music-1 subrole to show up as a Music role... or to change it into a separate role. Because it does have one, but the timeline considers it "Dialogue'. Weird.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 31, 2016 at 3:48:52 pm

Another UI issue. Working in the default workspace. As I go through browser clips in the list view, the name and/or number field text frequently goes blank. Then pops up again when I click on the next clip. It's random, but a fairly often occurrence. Should have been caught in QA testing.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Christian Bille
on Oct 31, 2016 at 6:57:49 pm

I am experiencing a drag-lag. This may be a bug, it sure seems like it.

When I try to mouse drag a clip, I get a lag of about 2.5 seconds.
After the first time, consecutive mouse drags do not lag as much, until I scroll the timeline and then try to drag another clip.

You can see an example here

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cr_-6RTvJd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Return to posts index

Christian Bille
on Oct 31, 2016 at 6:58:36 pm

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 11, 2016 at 1:27:57 pm

[Christian Bille] "I am experiencing a drag-lag. This may be a bug, it sure seems like it.

When I try to mouse drag a clip, I get a lag of about 2.5 seconds."

Trash the entire FCPX cache file and let thumbnails and waveforms rebuild.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 1, 2016 at 11:17:31 am

Five days after update two Libraries updated still not backed up despite changing location. Library created in FCPX 3 backing up as normal.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 1, 2016 at 12:20:35 pm

That's worrying, all my updated libraries are backing up OK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 1, 2016 at 5:55:25 pm

[James Ewart] "Five days after update two Libraries updated still not backed up despite changing location. Library created in FCPX 3 backing up as normal."

Change your backup location temporarily?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 1, 2016 at 6:32:14 pm

tried that Jeremy not worked so far. Could just be that Library as I did get an error message about something which I had to locate and trash so potentially a corrupt Library but now seems to open and function fine just won't back up

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 1, 2016 at 7:29:46 pm

[James Ewart] "tried that Jeremy not worked so far. "

Make a new Library. Copy the Events to the new library. Working now?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 1, 2016 at 9:46:16 pm

I'll add a few:

- Playback stops when adjusting audio levels if you have a Role turned off in the Timeline Index.

- The stereo spread audio filter causes FCPX to crash if you adjust parameters.

Return to posts index

Rob Wood
on Nov 2, 2016 at 11:59:37 pm

Agree that playback stops or is very clunky if you try to adjust audio when role is muted, (try using ctrl + or -), reported to FCP X team.
The stereo spread filter is a Logic one, seems to work OK if you use the graphical interface to change parameters rather than the inspector. Agree it crashes if you use it the latter way.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Nov 3, 2016 at 10:41:34 am

I had a random occurrence that happened when zooming in to the time line . When using either the zoom or CML + to zoom into the time line, the focus would shift to an area near the beginning of the time line and not the area that I wanted to magnify. Zooming out would bring the area of interest back into focus, but of course in a non magnified view. I haven't been able to recreate this situation which happened twice . A restart solved the problem and I haven't had this bug pop up since.

Return to posts index

Ed Kaiser
on Nov 3, 2016 at 3:11:02 pm

I'm not sure if this is a bug or the feature has moved and I can't find it: Changing audio configuration twirl-down menu, so I can't change the configuration from stereo to mono. The 10.3 Help guide shows the twirl-down - it's just like 10.2 used to be. However, in my multicam clip, it's not available.

Return to posts index

Ed Kaiser
on Nov 3, 2016 at 9:36:31 pm

Found the answer after searching through the Apple Support forums. The changing of audio configurations is now accessed through the angle editor.

Return to posts index

Rob Tiggelman
on Dec 5, 2016 at 10:56:15 am

How? I can't figure out this Angles menu...

Return to posts index

Ed Kaiser
on Dec 8, 2016 at 1:12:58 am

To change the audio configuration for a clip in FCPX 10.3, go in through the Angle Editor. Look at the top left of each camera or audio track. To the right of the angle name is a little white down-arrow. Click it to open a dialog box. Select All clips in the angle. Now look at the Inspector on the right side of the screen you will see that you now have access to the familiar audio configuration sections. Do this "extra" step for every track you wish to change.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 3, 2016 at 5:37:11 pm

Audio crackle in timeline from Associated Production Music loops.

Not there when played in browser. Not there when exported. Exported stereo aiff through compressor and reimported but still when played in timeline ... terrible audio crackle.

is this a 3.0 bug?

Quite disconcerting.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 3, 2016 at 5:52:07 pm

[James Ewart] "Audio crackle in timeline from Associated Production Music loops."

What sample rate? AIFF or MP3? Any speed conversion being applied?

If you externally transcode to 48KHz 24 or 16-bit and then bring it into FCPX3, is it clean?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 3, 2016 at 7:27:16 pm

No it isn't clean ... that's what I did. play clean in browser but not in timeline.

Feels like an early FCP 1.2 issue (32/48 khz)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 3, 2016 at 9:12:14 pm

[James Ewart] "32/48 khz"

I think 32-bit may be the problem. Try converting it to 24 or 16 bit and see what happens.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 3, 2016 at 7:31:01 pm

Definitely no such issue in 10.2

It's the "Silent Motion" track in Associated Production Music

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 3, 2016 at 9:16:17 pm

The biggest bug I'm seeing on one of the systems I work on (brand new everything) is poor playback through the BMD UltraStudio Express. Video stutters when you first play when a/v output is engaged. 1080 or 4K. USB3 or TB storage. All the same. Forget -1x playback (reverse). Uncheck a/v output and it's fine.

Yes, I know AJA might be better, but I have no way to test that. The BMD is fine with all other apps. I think a/v output through external devices from FCPX still has very low priority with Apple.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 3, 2016 at 9:25:22 pm

[Oliver Peters] " I think a/v output through external devices from FCPX still has very low priority with Apple."

You mean with Blackmagic.

AJA playout is much much better. Truly.

Also, there's a new feature with 10.3 where you don't need an external video device anymore, you can use a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and play straight out. I have an OWC breakout box with HDMI on it.

Here's what it looks like in sys pref and FCPX. FCPX sees the device as an HDMI device, not a computer monitor. When I turn off A/V output in FCPX, the external monitor becomes a separate computer monitor:

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 3, 2016 at 9:33:01 pm

Oh, and you can flip between the AJA Device and the HDMI device so you can use them independently.

Return to posts index

Tony Corapi
on Nov 3, 2016 at 10:53:00 pm

Have a new bug that just started with Remove Attributes. Two things are happening. If I have one effect applied and apply remove
attributes nothing happens. Effect stays. If I have two effects and choose to remove 1 of the effects it removes the one I didn't choose. I tested with 4 effects and chose to remove one and it removes the other 3 and keeps the one I wanted to remove.
Same is true for transform, crop and spatial conform. It's was working before so I'm not sure what triggered this behavior. I did apply a key
command this morning instead of using the drop down menu. Has anyone else experienced this? Have trashed preferences and behavior still persist.

Tony Corapi

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 3, 2016 at 11:26:35 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "You mean with Blackmagic."

Well, maybe. It works fine with other apps.

[Jeremy Garchow] "AJA playout is much much better. Truly."

I've used older FCPX on a tower with a KONA card and I would agree. That's not an option here, though. In part because I need to see the output from Resolve. None of these cards work as smoothly as Media Composer with Avid i/o hardware ? Not sure about their new box, which is BMD.

[Jeremy Garchow] "you can use a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and play straight out. I have an OWC breakout box with HDMI on it."

Not an option, because I need to go SDI to the main grading monitor.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 4, 2016 at 2:17:09 am

I use both Blackmagic and AJA. Blackmagic for Blackmagic products, AJA for everything else. A T-Tap is cheap and worth every penny, and Thunderbolt is easy to unplug.

Return to posts index

Rob Moragas
on Nov 6, 2016 at 11:53:21 pm

OMG,

So many problems and bugs in this new version.

1. Playback is terrible. Where as before on 10.2.3 I had no issues playing back, now it can't even play in real time through a dissolve.

2. slow and clunky moving around the timeline...

3. unresponsive to many clicks and commands when trying to turn many things on and off. Often I have to repeat the command two or three times to do anything.

4. The dotted unrendered bar is horrible.

5. Unnecessarily moving things around on the interface with really no benefit to the user.

Overall it's just become a dog of a program.

Rob

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 7, 2016 at 1:42:05 am

This sounds like a general performance issue rather than a bug. Performance has increased for me and others, so I'd image a bit of housekeeping might help.

First I'd quit FCPX and restart the machine.

Then I would hold option command and launch FCPX. When it asks if you want to delete your prefs, say yes. Once FCPX is reopened, reset your prefs and open a library that was giving you trouble. I would then delete the cache from that library. Quit FCPX and restart.

Relaunch that same library, and let FCPX rebuild thumbnails and waveforms.

If performance is still bad, make sure your plugins are updated and certifies for 10.3, if they aren't, remove them until they are.

If that doesn't work, trash the app and reinstall.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 26, 2016 at 1:22:04 pm

[Rob Moragas] "1. Playback is terrible. Where as before on 10.2.3 I had no issues playing back, now it can't even play in real time through a dissolve.
2. slow and clunky moving around the timeline...
3. unresponsive to many clicks and commands when trying to turn many things on and off. Often I have to repeat the command two or three times to do anything."

Can't confirm a single one of those. And that with it running on over 30 Macs at a school and several at home. Quite the opposite in fact. If anything, performance has improved considerably. Ergo: if you're seeing something else, it's not an FCP X issue.

[Rob Moragas] "4. The dotted unrendered bar is horrible."

How so? It serves the exact same purpose of the previous bar and offers the exact same information, just far less dominant and without color. Which coincides completely with the whole point of the GUI redesign. If anything, just muscle memory is a slowdown. Not the interface itself.

[Rob Moragas] "5. Unnecessarily moving things around on the interface with really no benefit to the user."

Couldn't agree less. Aside from maybe losing the buttons for favorites and rejections and getting the imho completely useless overwrite button instead, I find the logic of the GUI has improved exponentially. YMMV.

- RK

Return to posts index

Rob Moragas
on Nov 7, 2016 at 3:49:19 am

Hi There,

Well that sort of worked but I am still going through the process as you described. Optical flow will not render though.

Rob

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 7, 2016 at 3:55:37 am

[Rob Moragas] "Optical flow will not render though."

Meaning clips with optical flow won't render in the timeline, or won't analyze when you apply optical flow?

Return to posts index

Rob Moragas
on Nov 7, 2016 at 10:08:17 pm
Last Edited By Rob Moragas on Nov 7, 2016 at 10:28:12 pm

Hi There,

Yes I have now reinstalled FCPX from scratch on sierra and the only plug in installed is Colour Finale, which is compatible on this platform.

I had to restart the computer this morning after an over night render of my timeline and on reopening the project , everything is unrendered again!....

Background render is always turned off and all the render /cache folders were emptied before the initial render.

I also still have the optical flow issue that it will not render optical flow effects

Rob

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 7, 2016 at 10:33:04 pm

This sounds like a system issue, Rob.

Was this a clean install of Sierra or an upgrade?

It would be worth creating a new user to see if the issues go away. See here for a primer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

Return to posts index

Rob Moragas
on Nov 9, 2016 at 3:13:34 am

Hi,

Well your advice has proved to be disastrous. Not only does FCPX now not work properly on the sierra platform but now half the applications I have also do not work on the sierra platform...

So it looks like Ill be spending quite a bit of time resolving this disaster

Rob

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 9, 2016 at 3:22:37 am

On the new user or your old user?

Return to posts index

Rob Moragas
on Nov 7, 2016 at 4:23:07 am

Hi,

Meaning files I previous created with optical flow will not render and new files which i try to create optical flow on, the option is greyed out.

Although, IF i do an export of that section and re-import it, it comes up with a warning saying cannot read optical flow BUT it actually does create a file with optical flow rendered on it.

Rob

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 7, 2016 at 4:24:12 am

Have you reinstalled FCPX yet?

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Nov 7, 2016 at 3:18:03 pm

Just finishing up on a project and had to change fonts on some lower thirds. I selected all the lower third titles and rolled through the list of fonts selected the new one and applied it. Then going thru the lower thirds I found that the first one in the list worked fine and the subsequent titles jittered on play back. I solved the problem by going to each title, selecting a random font from the list and then switching back to the desired font . All titles were fine after that.
Its a minor bug but seemingly a bug nonetheless.

Return to posts index

Kripá Pizzorno
on Nov 9, 2016 at 7:27:40 am

Not rendering clips with Optical Flow applied is not a new issue for 10.3. I experience that on a daily basis in 10.2.3, to the point where I'm in the habit of exporting master clips just to check that it's free of analysis errors.

2015 5K iMac, i7 4GHz, 2GB GPU, 16 RAM, 512 SSD

Return to posts index

Tamarán Junco Jiménez
on Nov 7, 2016 at 12:44:57 pm

After a couple of days working with the new 10.3 I found a terrible bug for me in the viewer. When I try to apply a mask with a color correction, the drawn mask doesn't seem to coincide with the actual mask, so if I try to hit in one of the control points in order to make it bigger or to deform it, it doesn't work, and I have to wonder around with the mouse until the part I want to select highlights.

Same thing happens when I apply two movement keyframes and then I try to Control+click in one of them to change it from Ease-in to linear. The keyframe is not where it´s drawn, so I can´t change it.

Has anyone had the same problem?

Return to posts index

Emma Crouch
on Nov 10, 2016 at 1:34:16 pm

Whenever I try to copy a clip from one project to another, within the same library, FCPX freezes. There's no beachball of terror, it's just completely unresponsive, and I have to force quit.

This is an old updated library, and programme has crashed completely once. I'm guessing this could be a performance issue, which is frustrating as I've already trashed preferences. Has anyone else experienced this?

Return to posts index

Emma Crouch
on Nov 10, 2016 at 1:38:33 pm

Also, does anyone know where the shortcut is for changing clip speed etc. or have we lost this as a button?

Return to posts index

Gregor Queck
on Nov 10, 2016 at 2:07:28 pm
Last Edited By Gregor Queck on Nov 10, 2016 at 2:14:15 pm

Final Cut Pro 10.3 New Features Lesson 1: Exploring the New UI by Ripple Training:

The other one is a bug and you can report it on the feedback-page...
This bug seems to go away by using the command: File -> Delete Generated Library (Project) Files
and deleting all render files etc. ....... sometimes.......... :)

. . .

Return to posts index

Emma Crouch
on Nov 10, 2016 at 2:49:46 pm

Thank you - have reported!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 10, 2016 at 5:21:51 pm

[Emma Crouch] "Also, does anyone know where the shortcut is for changing clip speed etc. or have we lost this as a button?"

The button is now underneath the viewer to the left of the timecode. The shortcut is command-r.

Return to posts index

Emma Crouch
on Nov 11, 2016 at 1:07:31 pm
Last Edited By Emma Crouch on Nov 11, 2016 at 1:08:20 pm

Brilliant - didn't see it hiding there at all, thank you.

Return to posts index

Taylor Martyn
on Nov 23, 2016 at 10:12:45 am

Most of mine have to do with the new layout features. However, those bugs are causing the app to 'freeze.' No spinning beachball, when I go to force quit, it doesn't show that it's crashed, it's just unresponsive. I am using two monitors. 90% of the time I open the app, my second monitor set to show my viewers, is just solid white. I select in the menu to change it to something else, and it all freezes up. But if I select to show the views in my main monitor, I can work, while the second monitor stays white. A few small irritants to do with the layout. The audio meters are huge. So I can slim them down, but when I quit the app and reopen, they are big again. I'm annoyed that I cannot slide my timeline to be the full width of the screen. the only way to do that is to turn off the inspector. I wish I could have the inspector only be the top half, giving room for the timeline. When I did the work around earlier, adding the viewer back to my main monitor, it made the file viewer 'browser' very small and gave more room to the list of events/projects, etc. So I grabbed the slider between the to to make the browser larger, it slid over, but when I released the mouse, it bounced back over. Tried a few times with the same result.

FCPx still has a LONG way to go.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 23, 2016 at 5:34:12 pm

The white screen sounds like more than a FCPX issue. I use dual screens when on my laptop and flip between single and dual and and have never seen that, or have crashing/freezing issues. I'd double check to see if all your plugins/Motion templates are updated and compatible.

[Taylor Martyn] "The audio meters are huge. So I can slim them down, but when I quit the app and reopen, they are big again."

Yes. I would send feedback to Apple about that.

[Taylor Martyn] " I'm annoyed that I cannot slide my timeline to be the full width of the screen. the only way to do that is to turn off the inspector. I wish I could have the inspector only be the top half, giving room for the timeline."

Double click the top of the inspector or map a key to "Toggle Inspector Height" to do just what you're asking.

[Taylor Martyn] "So I grabbed the slider between the to to make the browser larger, it slid over, but when I released the mouse, it bounced back over. Tried a few times with the same result."

Again, this sounds like more than an FCPX issue. At the very least I'd trash your preferences and library caches. If that doesn't do anything, I'd delete FCPX and reinstall, if that doesn't do anything, I'd create a new admin user and test FCPX to see if you are still having the same issues. If the new user works, then there is most likely a user problem. If none of that works, I'd reload the system from scratch, but that is the last thing to try. Here's a guide: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4053

[Taylor Martyn] "FCPx still has a LONG way to go."

It's come a long way.

Return to posts index

Taylor Martyn
on Nov 24, 2016 at 7:09:29 am

jeremy, thanks for all the feedback. I updated my FxFactory plugin and that is maybe helping a bit.

Right now I have everything viewable on my primary display and the viewer is full screen on my secondary monitor. In the Window menu, the options for secondary are greyed out. I also don't know how to get rid of the viewer now from my primary display. It's not listed as an option in the menu. Double clicking the top bar does nothing.

The lack intuitiveness of this layout is killing me.

I used the quick key to hide the app, the first thing that happened was the secondary screen went white, after 3 seconds, the app 'hid.'

I do also have Magic Bullet Looks installed, but around 2 versions old. They told me they know of no known issues. Not sure I'm ready to spring for the upgrade costs.

Sliding around the browser width is working okay now. It's not bouncing back. Now, if I could just remove the viewer on my main display...

Yes, FXPx has come a long way. I used the original x version to cut a feature. WHAT A PAIN. I pushed my team to use Premiere, but I lost out. And we all paid for it in the ensuing years. I've been using Premiere since 1996 and went to FCP3 when Adobe had ditched Apple for a bit. I'm slowly transitioning back to Premiere. Apple is still playing catch up and can't even do basic things like window layout that it handled just fine before the jump to X. It's great for cutting short, quick things, but outside of that, I still can't depend on it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 25, 2016 at 3:31:34 pm

[Taylor Martyn] "Right now I have everything viewable on my primary display and the viewer is full screen on my secondary monitor. In the Window menu, the options for secondary are greyed out. I also don't know how to get rid of the viewer now from my primary display. It's not listed as an option in the menu. Double clicking the top bar does nothing."

If the options are grayed out, something is wrong. Have you trashed your preferences yet? Easiest way to is to hold option-command and launch FCPX.

What computer are you using and what kind of monitor?

Don't double click the top bar, double click the top of the inspector, right here:

0_fullheight.png

[Taylor Martyn] "I do also have Magic Bullet Looks installed, but around 2 versions old. They told me they know of no known issues. Not sure I'm ready to spring for the upgrade costs.
"

Delete it and see if it helps. If it does, then you know that it will be worth the cost of upgrading.

Return to posts index

Anton Antokhin
on Dec 9, 2016 at 9:37:43 pm

I am having a heck of a time with dragging the bounds of connected clips in 10.3. Typically this will happen in the "A" tool, not the trim tool. I grab the edge of the clip (with or without transition), start moving it, and BOOM, everything goes away with this report (excerpted):

Application Specific Information:
Do not invoke endTimelineHandlerTransaction without a corresponding begin.
draggingEntered - calling _cleanupDraggingEnded before setting up
_cleanupDraggingEnded - calling _removeDraggingEndedMonitor
draggingEntered - calling _beginWorkaroundForMissingDraggingEndedBug
draggingEnded - calling _removeDraggingEndedMonitor
_removeDraggingEndedMonitor - cleaning up _draggingEndedEventMonitor
draggingEnded - calling _endWorkaroundForMissingDraggingEndedBug

-[FFAnchoredTimelineModule endTimelineHandlerTransaction:commit:error:], /Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/Flexo/Flexo-29646.4.1/framework/providers/FFSequenceProvider/FFAnchoredTimelineModule_DataSource.m:834
abort() called

Here's the full crash report: 10863_finalcutpro20161209141515macbookpro.crash.zip

I assume that if Apple has a workaround in the code for a dragging bug this is a known issue? It's hard to reproduce consistently because typically I need to work for a period of time before this happens. Tried trashing the cache and prefs, and while it seems to help, it always comes back. I typically have about 3-4 crashes like this a day.

Any advice appreciated.

Return to posts index

Gum Parker
on Jan 31, 2017 at 2:10:16 pm

Hi Oliver,

It appears FCPX 10.3 will no longer allow me to roundtrip a JPEG or PNG with Photoshop. I used to be able to reveal the image in the finder open it in Photoshop make a color change or adjustment to said file save/replace it and it would repopulate with the changes applied. Now I have to restart FCPX 10.3 for the changes to take effect. The obvious work around is to redo it in Photoshop and reimport. Or I have to import as a PSD file which is much heavier than a PNG and most times I don't need to work with the image layers within FCPX. Just wondering if anyone has used this workflow and has had the same experience. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Mark Linthicum
on Mar 15, 2017 at 2:46:08 am

This is working for me with no issues

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Linthicum
on Mar 15, 2017 at 2:48:43 am

I should not say "no issues" because I have had it not update immediately, it has taken some time with a few images but it does eventually update. Yesterday I had this issue and i resaved the photoshop file and it did update.

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Luis Dechtiar
on Feb 2, 2017 at 2:59:44 am

"1. Occasionally the playhead loses focus on which is the active pane in dual display set-ups. You'll be in the timeline and it quits updating video on the viewer as you skim. That's because focus has shifted to the browser. Click into the browser and back into the timeline to refresh. This is an old bug, BTW."

Has anyone found a way to get rid of this bug? It's happening very often. Since you mentioned the problem being dual display set-ups, is there a way to reconfigure something to make it so the playhead stops losing focus?

Return to posts index

Rikki Blow
on Feb 18, 2017 at 7:10:26 pm

After working with 10.3 for some time, have found following bugs recurring.

Just occasionally the pop-up data balloons on moving clips or adjusting audio volume etc will go blank and gove no info.

Quite often, some of my keyboard short-cuts just stop working - eg Command-tilda no longer hides browser, and Shift-? no longer plays round a point. Quitting and opening gets them back, but it happens quite a lot and I use these often, so quite annoying.

Sometimes clip names in browser just disappear - just shows a load of blanks - most often come back by clicking around.

Return to posts index

Rikki Blow
on Feb 19, 2017 at 3:52:55 pm

...oh AND, a biggie.

when i expand audio on two adjacent clips to do some fine editing, the two audio parts will only sometimes seperate out to lie above or below eachother - often they'll stay on the same horizontal, so i can't easily compare their fade ins/outs where they overlap, having to switch from one to the other to get access to their respective fade handles.

this never used to happen before 10.3, and it's a really annoying UI glitch.

Return to posts index

Mark Linthicum
on Mar 16, 2017 at 7:34:23 am

With all these posts I can't believe no one is having the issues i am having here. Maybe it has to do with the system you are running on. I am on a late 2013 Mac Pro. 10.11.6

1. I am having video layers stack one behind the other rather than on top of each other when extending the length of a clip and it collides with another. See image

2. Show video Animation popping up under clips so you can't get to a keyframe. if it is under the top of the timeline, the (area you would click to move the playhead) the playhead does not move.

3. PNG's with a alpha causing other PNG's with alpha to disappear when stacked on top of each other. So if i have a timeline with 2 PNGs with alphas over an image I add a 3rd PNG with an alpha and the 2nd PNG disappears, The only way around this is to precompose 2 of the layers. i am thinking this might be a Compresses PNG mixing with uncompressed PNG issue. Need to test some more.

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 16, 2017 at 12:19:26 pm

This sounds like at least a preference trash, and if that doesn't work, a full FCPX reinstall by deleting the app and redownloading.

Return to posts index

Allan Davidson
on Mar 18, 2017 at 5:55:47 pm

To Item 3 on your email — I had the same thing happen. Assuming that I had simply run into a limit on the number of supported layers, I turned some of the items into compound clips. That turned out to be perfectly good as a practical workaround.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Mar 16, 2017 at 7:19:50 pm

I do a lot of subtitling where I copy text from a spreadsheet and paste into a text object. That text object spans the entire length of the video ready to format and bite off a little, format and bite off a little ands of forth. That text object is only formatted with the font and font size and then it remains for me to format new text placed into that text object. Once text is pasted (the whole script so I can format the top three lines, then delete those and let the next group bible to the top), I'll put in line breaks to create three lines of subtitle text. I play video until the subtitle runs its course then I blade the text object and option click to put the playhead into the text object still remaining. Except, with 10.3, the text in the remaining object loses its formatting at that blading moment! Keep in mind that the whole remaining text object had its first three lines formatted and all I did was blade off a little piece of it. By losing its line breaks I now have to search for where I left off to format the next three lines. Sounds trivial but its truly a pain and adds significantly to the time required to subtitle. I used to scream through this process.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 10, 2017 at 8:35:49 pm

Two very annoying bugs I have encountered:

The first is when I change a video role on oneclip in the event browser it changes the video role of another clip or the video role field is empty.

The other annoying bug is using smart collections. For example, when looking for footage with roles I get a message saying there are no clips matching the criteria. This only happens when I choose "all" as opposed to "any" in the role section.

Other things:

Date created is wrong with Go Pro footage
Clips were transcoded with Edit Ready prior to importing into FCPX
Using Final Cut 10.3.3

Tetris is my favorite video game unless tracks are involved.

Return to posts index

Eric Sternberger
on May 11, 2017 at 7:29:49 am

some issues I´m experiencing:

- when you apply a transition to a clip in the secondary storyline, it will apply it to the beginning & the end of the clip simultaneously (arrrgghhh!)
- after applying a transition to a clip in secondary, the clip cannot be moved anymore(maybe this is intentional, but it is annoying)
- when you edit Text in a Titel and hit Backspace it will delete the whole Titel, not the Text (this pi.... me off)

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on May 11, 2017 at 4:43:15 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on May 11, 2017 at 5:12:44 pm

[Eric Sternberger] "when you apply a transition to a clip in the secondary storyline, it will apply it to the beginning & the end of the clip simultaneously "

That can and will only happen if you select the clip and hit ⌘T. In which case that's absolutely normal and the exact same way it works in the primary as well. If it's happening any other time, then there's something wrong with your install.

[Eric Sternberger] "after applying a transition to a clip in secondary, the clip cannot be moved anymore"

Huh?? Of course it can. Only it'll leave it's transitions behind. Again, the exact same as in the primary.

[Eric Sternberger] "when you edit Text in a Titel and hit Backspace it will delete the whole Titel, not the Text"

I don't know what it is you're doing or what's up with your machine, but that obviously does NOT happen, since that would obviously be completely ridiculous if that were the case by default or design.

No clue how you could possibly be seeing any of this, therefore that really only leaves PEBKAC.

- RK

Return to posts index

Mark Linthicum
on May 11, 2017 at 5:12:06 pm

These don't sound like bugs, it sounds like you just are possibly not familiar with how things work?

[Eric Sternberger] "- when you apply a transition to a clip in the secondary storyline, it will apply it to the beginning & the end of the clip simultaneously (arrrgghhh!)"

Only if you drag a transition to the whole clip or have the whole clip selected when you use the transition command ⌘T. just select the end of a clip when applying a transition.

[Eric Sternberger] "- after applying a transition to a clip in secondary, the clip cannot be moved anymore(maybe this is intentional, but it is annoying)"
If I understand you issue correctly, you need to select the top bar or storyline to move the clip with its transitions.

[Eric Sternberger] "- when you edit Text in a Titel and hit Backspace it will delete the whole Titel, not the Text (this pi.... me off)"
This is an issue for me but i now edit text in the inspector on the right, not in the viewer window, This is the best place to edit text, If you copy text from another app and paste it in the inspector on the right it will keep the formatting you have set as well. If you paste it in the viewer it will keep the formatting of the source.

Mark

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]