FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keywords Won´t Work

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolas J Russo
Keywords Won´t Work
on Oct 20, 2016 at 4:07:12 pm

Hi, I´m editing a Documentary on 10.2.3. When I´m at library level and do a search for a keyword that we have log AFTER we import the footage (Like "Rehearsal at the theater") the software won´t give me any result. Even though I´m seeing the collection with that name. But when I do the search with words that FCP took from the Directories names (like DAY01, CANON, CAM01...) it gives me the results.

Is there a way to turn on the keywords that you assign when you log the material in the search?
I got to the UI when you click on the little magnifying glass, but got the same luck.

Any insight would be great

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Keywords Won´t Work
on Oct 20, 2016 at 11:42:43 pm

Can you send a screen snapshot of your event please. Shift Apple 4.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Nicolas J Russo
on Oct 26, 2016 at 2:34:52 pm

Thanks Noah, the first image are the clips in the search windows. The second is the advanced search with all the keywords (spanish)

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Oct 26, 2016 at 4:59:56 pm

What you need to do is choose the uncheck all and then check the keywords you want.

Return to posts index

Nicolas J Russo
on Oct 26, 2016 at 5:25:12 pm

Thanks Brian for your help. I have seen tutorials where they assigned keywords while watching the footage and then they could find that footage by typing in the search bar. What you say about checking the keywords, it works but it´s a workaround... I was looking for a solution for the typing search. To look in a list of keywords, is not how it was design to work.

Maybe there is a file that I can delete or something so FCP needs to reindex the files? I don´t know if someone has Avid experience but like erasing the database of the Avid MediaFiles directory...

Thanks anyway for the feedback

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Oct 26, 2016 at 6:17:20 pm

Unfortunately, you can only search keywords this way, or toggle the event down to see the keywords for that event. If I had that many keywords I would create folders to help organize your keywords. Do You have a link to the tutorial you saw?

Return to posts index

Nicolas J Russo
on Oct 26, 2016 at 6:32:50 pm

Here is an excerpt of Lynda - Final Cut Pro X Guru Organizing Assets’. This guy logged the footage with the keyword DOLLY and when he is actually editing, he finds that footage by looking that word.

https://we.tl/kq0Xz6O91F

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Oct 26, 2016 at 7:40:37 pm

In his example he is searching names of clips and not keywords. He does have a keyword DOLLY but he is actually searching names of clips.

Return to posts index

Nicolas J Russo
on Oct 26, 2016 at 7:50:50 pm

I didn´t realize that. So no way to look for the keywords made while logging.

Is there a difference with the keywords that are made by FCP during the import? the keywords as the folders names and the tags that are created in finder? Because I can look for those and it works

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:21:57 pm

Keep in mind If you have an event selected your search will only search in that event. If you search a library it will search in that library. I am not sure about keywords as finder tags. I will need to try that.

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:31:28 pm

Kind of weird behavior in FCP X. Keywords from the finder seem to be searchable but keywords created in FCP X are not if you just type the word in the search field. But, if you have more than one word as your keyword the first word will get results but if you have two words or more and type all of them it will not get results.

Return to posts index

Nicolas J Russo
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:35:01 pm

Same here. Is really weird. Is not supposed to be like that.
I´m doing all my searches at the library level.

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:39:09 pm

I hope the next version will fix this this problem. Maybe tomorrow we will know.

Return to posts index

Nicolas J Russo
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:40:30 pm

You think? I think that FCP money it what they expend on toilet paper at Cupertino.

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:57:25 pm

Try doing range based keywords in Premiere Pro. It is impossible. When doing keywords in FCP X we need to have a naming convention that makes sense so you don't have them all over the place that does not make sense. Using a phrase from an interview and then not putting that into a folder with the name of the person who said the phrase might not work as well instead of creating a folder for each person that was interviewed and putting it in there. You could use a folder or an event for that purpose. I am not saying this is the best way but there are many ways to go about it. I have tried to do this in PP and it's not happening.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Oct 27, 2016 at 12:31:05 pm

What I tend to do is keep my amount of keywords rather small. So if I am logging interviews the subject name will be a keyword e.g.: Nina. Then if I like something Nina says, I'll select that range where she says that pertinent bit in the browser, keyword it Nina and then to the right of the keyword in list view there is a field where I can type in a note which will be a text note about what she said.
So what this allows me to do is a search on the text in the note field which is fast or I can select the keyword collection for Nina and see the list of all the things she said that I thought were of use. I like keywords, but I have found that too many of them make for poor project organization and clutter. Better to throw terms you want searchable into notes field and use keywords to filter a more general set of things such as interview subjects, 'exterior b roll' 'scenes' etc.

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Oct 27, 2016 at 3:41:39 pm

That is a good way to do it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]