FORUMS: list search recent posts

XAVC-L, all good in FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
XAVC-L, all good in FCPX?
on Oct 19, 2016 at 6:20:24 pm

I'm considering buying a Sony FS5, which shoots in XAVC-L.

Anyone using an FS5, or editing with footage from an FS5?

Anything I should know about the workflow for this format?

I don't expect to be shooting a lot of 4k. I expect that at 100mpbs my MBP would be able to handle without going to proxy. I edit off of an external SSD which right now is connected with USB3, and it works great for XDcam HD.

Thanks for the help.

-Mark

---------

Mark Morache
Evening Magazine, Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: XAVC-L, all good in FCPX?
on Oct 20, 2016 at 12:13:11 am

I believe there's a plugin from Sony you need and I would suggest optimizing media as Sony optimizes its codec performance more for acquisition than editorial.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Oct 24, 2016 at 5:19:39 pm

A plug-in from Sony is no longer required as FCPX now supports XAVC.

Return to posts index

Giampaolo Moretti
on Oct 20, 2016 at 11:36:38 am

We work a lot of XAVC-L footage but need proxy because always built a multicam clip with 8 tracks.

The clips are on RAID-5 tower with Thunderbolt 2 and connected to MacPro 2013 8-core/AMD D500.

The proxy work like a charm with all effects like color correction, slow motion, masks, ecc but when we switch to original XAVC-L there are lags, specially on clips with effects, rendering don't help so much.

Sometimes the footage are in XAVC-I and all is better

http://www.metisfilm.it

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Oct 20, 2016 at 8:41:26 pm

I shoot in XAVC-L 50 mbps on a Sony PXW-X70 with no problem. When I first got the camera two years ago, FCPX didn't support XAVC-L, and I had to use Sony Catalyst Browse to transcode to ProRes. But since then Apple has worked it out with Sony and all is well. I bought the 4K upgrade for the X70 to keep the camera future proof. My early 2009 vintage MacPro can't handle 4K on a timeline, but dropping 4K onto a 1080 timeline works nicely - with no degradation on a Ken Burns push in.

Here's a sample:

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 20, 2016 at 10:29:05 pm

Using the X70 both HD and UHD on 6 core MacPro Tube. Generally works well although I haven't done multicam. I do get an occasional bad frame (macro blocks) which goes away if I slide the shot back and forth or trim a frame back and forth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]