FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another 23.98 / 29.97 nightmare : )

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Smith
Another 23.98 / 29.97 nightmare : )
on Oct 17, 2016 at 9:05:28 am

So my offline from the red footage is 1080p 23.98. Somehow the sequence I cut the show in ended up being 720p 29.97.
It looks fine but I need to send out a reference video with the correct frame rate / size. How do I fix this?

if I just create a new 1080p 23.98 sequence and copy and paste the edited show clips on there I'll have sync issues.
I could recut the show manually clip by clip on the correct sequence but that's obviously not the way to go.

*using FCP7 not X

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
Re: Another 23.98 / 29.97 nightmare : )
on Oct 17, 2016 at 11:51:09 am

Let me rephrase it:

I cut 23.98 footage on a 29.97 timeline.
I need to export the edited footage at 23.98

What's the right way of doing this?

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Oct 17, 2016 at 11:55:40 am

Oh no, looks like I'm screwed : (
Just discovered this post on the subject:

-------------------------------------------------------
Dave LaRonde Re: Remove pulldown?
by Dave LaRonde on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:53:34 pm

It is always, Always, Always, ALWAYS best to remove 3:2 pulldown from 24p footage. The reason: you eliminate mistakes.

Yes, it's possible to edit 24p in a 29.97 timeline. However, you stand a 2-in-5 chance of making a cut on a split frame; it's one of those frames created when 24 frames is spread across 30 frames. If you want to split hairs, you can also refer to split frames as Progressive Segmented Frames.

The careless editor almost always does this, because he/she rarely has the editing application set up to display two fields, which would instantly reveal split frames... as long as there is motion in the shot. If there is little or no motion, it turns into a crap shoot, anyway. Thus, about 40% of your cuts will be on split frames.

If for any reason you need to create a true 23.976 (aka 23.98 in FCP-speak) file at a later date, you're h-o-s-e-d, hosed! You have no recourse but to go back to the original footage -- if it even exists -- then remove the pulldown and re-edit to eliminate the inevitable gaps that will appear.

Sound like fun? Didn't think so.

Then there are those situations where pulldown must absolutely, positively MUST be removed prior to editing:

You're doing a film-out.
You're creating a 23.976 file for theatrical projection.
You're creating 23.976 video for the web.
You're making a 24p DVD or Blu-Ray.
You're creating motion graphics whose motion must perfectly match that of the video.

So that's the story on pulldown removal. As you can see, when you shoot 24p and edit at 29.97 (or 1080 59.94i), you're rolling the dice several hundred (or thousand) times, and you have to roll a 5 each and every time.

Do you feel lucky?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 17, 2016 at 1:40:13 pm

Sorry to hear that and remember there is an FCP legacy forum on the Cow for non X issues.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Oct 17, 2016 at 2:05:35 pm

I've never heard of Legacy but doubt the work flow is different in a case like this anyway. It probably doesn't matter if I'm cutting on X, Legacy or FCP7 in this situation.

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Oct 17, 2016 at 2:57:12 pm

Nevermind you guys. I recut it by hand already using the "F" command. Thank God this was a music video and not a feature.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 17, 2016 at 3:02:59 pm

This has nothing to do with pulldown.

You would need to copy and paste your sequence in to a 1080 23.98 sequence.

FCP is going to add blank frames in the sequence, so you have to do play the sequence and make sure everything is back to where it needs to be.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]